Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confused: birthing on hands & knees or squatting plus birth plan help

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I have been told by a lot of people and have read in a lot of places that birthing on your hands and knees or squatting actually makes it easier and the baby is less likely to get stuck. But today at my obgyn appointment the doctor told me the baby is more likely to get caught by the shoulders in that position. ?? I still want to birth on my hands and knees but anyone have info or experiences they'd like to share?

I was also told today that I need to come in next week with my husband and have a conference with all the obgyns (there are 3) and the patient advocate and they'll determine whether they'll allow me to birth there or not. It's more "remote" and they aren't as equipped for emergencies but I'm not high risk or carrying multiples, I've had no complications in previous births (even though our second was an accidental unassisted birth), and I honestly don't think what I want is some huge deal. Especially since I've made it quite clear that the safety of my baby comes first and so I'm flexible if it comes down to it. Anyways, I'll list what I'm going to be telling them again at the conference. Honesty would be appreciated about whether or not I'm being unreasonable. Again, just about all of these things I am flexible with if a serious need arises (not just the convenience of the doctors):

1. No heplock or iv
2. No continous monitoring unless baby shows signs of needing it (so I'd want them to just come in and check for a couple minutes-if they need to check more often because of that I am fine with it)
3. No pitocin before or after birth
4. No epidural
5. No vaginal checks especially if water has already broken
6. No stripping of membranes
7. Allowed to labor by walking uninhibited
8. Deliver on hands and knees or squatting or whatever position seems most comfortable
9. Catch baby myself
10. Baby goes straight to my chest
11. Allow immediate nursing (unless of course the baby needs immediate medical attention)
12. Do not cut cord until done pulsing
13. No induction (unless truly medically necessary) until at least 42 weeks unless a medical reason arises such as the placenta beginning to die. I am willing to have extra ultrasounds and/or stress tests in order to monitor the baby, placenta, fluid, etc as needed.
14. I would like baby and I to be released from the hospital within 24 hours after birth at most unless a reason/need arises to merit a longer stay (i.e., my first was having her last exam when they discovered a heart murmur so they had us stay for additional tests)

--------------------------

I know it seems like a long list but a lot of it is stuff I'm adding just so they can know again that I don't want an epidural or my water broken, etc. Anyways, opinions and feedback would be great! Thank you for any help you can provide!!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Most OBs wont allow women to birth in those positions because its not convinant, but I have never heard that. I know personally when I labored and delivered my daughter on my hands and knees the pain was far less intense, pushing wasn't painful at all, and my baby came out extremely well!!! Laying on your back increases risk of complications for many reasons due to the fact its not a natural way to birth. It also increases the risk of tearing! I would talk more about it for sure!!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Your doctor is full of it. She likely said that to scare you out of doing it for her convenience. Pushing on your hands and knees is actually one of the best ways to help get a baby unstuck. It's called the Gaskin maneuver. If baby is stuck you get on hands and knees and the doctor or midwife slides their fingers up by the baby's arm and dislodges it. 

Their wanting to meet sounds like they are planning to buly you out of your natural birth. I would switch doctors offices asap if I were you.

Your list looks great. I see no problems with it. I'm sure it would make a very intervention minded doctor uncomfortable, but it is very reasonable.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM
The baby's head is the biggest part. How would the shoulders get stuck?
Your OB probably won't let you do hands and knees because it's harder for them to be in control but it's your labor, not theirs; they have no business even trying to be in control.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RunningMommaof2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM

You know what you should do? Go with the flow. Your body is natually going to want to push the way it feels it can get the baby out best. I birthed while laying on my side. I was like my body took over and said lay down, now roll to the side and push. 

louzannalady
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Do NOT go to this appointment! They are LEGALLY REQUIRED to assist you, if you show up at their hospital in active labor, under EMTALA! This meeting, I can pretty much guarantee you, will be a meeting for them to tell you their policies and the "allow" you to do certain things with YOUR body or YOUR baby and to "disallow" certain things. Per the American Congress of OB/GYN's (take their link with you, if you go!), you have the first, middle and LAST say in what happens to you, through informed consent and informed refusal! 

ACOG committe opinion on informed consent and informed refusal

More on informed consent

EMTALA and how it applies to VBAC's, but it applies to ALL births!

More info on your rights and responsibilities as a birthing woman in the hospital 

OH! And your OB/GYN is blowing smoke! There is a manuver that OB's and midwives use, called the Gaskin Manuver, which is used to dislodge a baby having shoulder dystocia- and it is being on all fours! That OPENS your pelvis. Your pelvis is 30% more narrow laying on your back than any other position! 

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies for your feedback! I'm definitely planning on going with the flow as well which I also emphasized to the doctors. My birth plans are not written in stone since things come up but after having two kids I know what's most comfortable for me and what isn't at all. :-P
I would switch doctors but I'm on a military base out of the country so there's no where to switch to. If they decide not to let me birth there I honestly have no idea where they'll send me but from what I've heard they'll probably either send me back to the continental states for the birth or else to Hawaii. I guess we'll see though. The doctor I talked to today was actually the most open doctor I've talked to but I thought the whole shoulder thing sounded odd and she also said it increases the risk of tearing if you deliver on your hands and knees which was also contradictory to all I'd heard and what I'd been told with my midwives back in the states (I was planning on hands and knees with my second but it didn't go that way). She actually seemed really sweet and she seemed to want to set up the conference to make sure all the obgyns knew where I was coming from but I know the obgyn that's techinically in charge (highest ranking) heard my birth plan and basically danced all around the topic so that she basically didn't agree to anything and made me act like I agreed with her. And the doctor today told me that they have forms I can sign to refuse the iv or monitoring or anything which the other doctor had neglected to mention. Anyways, I labor at home for as long as possible anyways so most of this stuff is basically just precautions in case I do get there earlier than usual. I don't mind going with the flow at all :-) but I do want to make sure that if my body says to do something they won't try to force me into something else.

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the information! :-) I definitely know that they can't force me into anything and the obgyn even told me this today (definitely the more open minded of the ones I've met so far). I do want to go to this though because if they aren't going to be open minded about things I want to know now and then if they don't feel they are equipped for my child's birth it'll be by their own expense that they'll be sending me somewhere else (and to be honest somewhere else would probably make me more comfortable anyways-lol!). It's a military hospital so if they don't feel they're equipped to handle things if an emergency arises (since I won't have an iv in which seems to be a huge deal to them) they can send me to a different hospital (probably Okinawa or Hawaii) or back to the states to have the baby (my parents wouldn't mind that-lol!!).

Quoting louzannalady:

Do NOT go to this appointment! They are LEGALLY REQUIRED to assist you, if you show up at their hospital in active labor, under EMTALA! This meeting, I can pretty much guarantee you, will be a meeting for them to tell you their policies and the "allow" you to do certain things with YOUR body or YOUR baby and to "disallow" certain things. Per the American Congress of OB/GYN's (take their link with you, if you go!), you have the first, middle and LAST say in what happens to you, through informed consent and informed refusal! 

ACOG committe opinion on informed consent and informed refusal

More on informed consent

EMTALA and how it applies to VBAC's, but it applies to ALL births!

More info on your rights and responsibilities as a birthing woman in the hospital 

OH! And your OB/GYN is blowing smoke! There is a manuver that OB's and midwives use, called the Gaskin Manuver, which is used to dislodge a baby having shoulder dystocia- and it is being on all fours! That OPENS your pelvis. Your pelvis is 30% more narrow laying on your back than any other position! 

rjmac88
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:22 PM

the way our pelvis is shaped its actually the other way around. way more likely to get stuck on your back. its just not convienient for the drs to deliver a baby with you in any other postion. so they scare tactic or even bully women into staying there. its stupid. 

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Squatting won't be very friendly to your perenium- it's alittle too much strain on your bottom when it comes to pushing, I've seen and heard of far too many tears while squatting. A birthing stool would be a great option :)

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Yeah, I'm hoping to either do hands and knees except for the very end to catch the baby or else find another position that's comfortable that isn't on my back. I may just bring my own stool since I don't think they have any there. :-) Thank you for the suggestion!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Squatting won't be very friendly to your perenium- it's alittle too much strain on your bottom when it comes to pushing, I've seen and heard of far too many tears while squatting. A birthing stool would be a great option :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)