Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

what planning do i need to do?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

This is my first pregnancy to stick, and I am 24 weeks 3 days along. What are things I need to seriously think about and plan before baby gets here? Besides the buying neccessary things and setting up the nursery? 

I know i plan on having a natural delivery, and my mom and DF will be the only 2 in the room. But besides that I really dont know what i have to plan !

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeh81489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:14 PM

You need to write up a birth plan for yourself and make several copies for the hospital doctor and you. You need to start packing your hospital bag and the baby's bag around 34-35 weeks I say. Make sure you register at the hospital and I recommend doing a maternity tour at your hospital.

expecting baby

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM

what all is included in a birth plan? 

Quoting jeh81489:

You need to write up a birth plan for yourself and make serval copies for the hospital doctor and you. You need to start packing your hospital bag and the baby's bag around 34-35 weeks I say. Make sure you register at the hospital and I recommend during a maternity tour at the hospital.

expecting baby

jeh81489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Its basically all what you hope for during labor and delivery. What you want to happen during labor and the birth of your child for example like if you plan getting an epidural, or if don't plan on getting one you would add that you do not plan on getting an epidural. Also you would state in the begining that you do plan on having a vaginal delivery.

Quoting jesuschild06:

Quoting jeh81489:

You need to write up a birth plan for yourself and make serval copies for the hospital doctor and you. You need to start packing your hospital bag and the baby's bag around 34-35 weeks I say. Make sure you register at the hospital and I recommend during a maternity tour at the hospital.

expecting baby

jeh81489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Also if you would like you can look up online birth plan and it will go into more detail what it is 

expecting baby

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

READ! Go get Henci Goer's book "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". Then, read everything you can about how birth ACTUALLY works and how the body works. Then, resist any procedure, drug or hospital policy that is not condusive to a safe, vaginal birth (constant fetal monitoring, IV drip, Pitocin augmentation, vaginal exams... I could go on and on). Hire a doula ASAP!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17992147/I_wish_I_had_known

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

HERE are some resources in learning what a birth plan does for you and how to go about writing one. 

Quoting jesuschild06:

Quoting jeh81489:

expecting baby

jeh81489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:31 PM

If you have not gotton the book what to expect while expecting you should get it its a very good book it is not expensive its only like $15 at Babies R Us, but you may be able to find it at Target for cheaper.

expecting baby

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Also, if you are low risk, it might be a good idea to consider a freestanding birthing center. : ) A study with over 15,000 births looked at the safety of it for low-risk women. Ninety-six percent of the women did have vaginal births, compared to hospitals that only have sixty-six percent of women having a vaginal birth! : ) The infant death rate was also lower, too! : ) 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jmwh.12003/full#b42

Also, What to Expect is a cute book, but you will get the exact same updates and info for free from their site or from Babycenter! It has not real meat and it will not help you have a safe birth!

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:34 PM

i have it, but ive never really opened it :p my insurance sent it to me for free. :) ill look into it too !

Quoting jeh81489:

If you have not gotton the book what to expect while expecting you should get it its a very good book it is not expensive its only like $15 at Babies R Us, but you may be able to find it at Target for cheaper.

expecting baby

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for all the links :)

Quoting louzannalady:

Also, if you are low risk, it might be a good idea to consider a freestanding birthing center. : ) A study with over 15,000 births looked at the safety of it for low-risk women. Ninety-six percent of the women did have vaginal births, compared to hospitals that only have sixty-six percent of women having a vaginal birth! : ) The infant death rate was also lower, too! : ) 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jmwh.12003/full#b42

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)