Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

NSTs...

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

Next week, (36 weeks) I start having NSTs because I have gestational diabetes and they just want to be sure the baby is doing well. My gestational diabetes is well maintained by diet and my midwife is not concerned at all but it is protocol for her to just be sure baby is responding well. 

So what should I expect? How long should the NSTs last? Any other advice you have about NSTs? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you're being set up for failure, to me. =\ If it's well diet controlled, an NST is unecessary and will eventually probably bring up the mention of induction. GD doesn't mean high risk, danger, etc. I've been there done that, it's not NST-worthy and you have the right to turn down the tests. 

NST usually last 20 minutes I think. They strap you to a monitor and leave you alone in a room for a while. Bring a book, it's boring. 

mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM
not a big deal they can take about 20min i did them 2x a week....its not setting u up for failure its making shure baby is ok....if they dont see movment and its worry some they will send u for a ultrasound check fluid baby etc....better safe then sorry....i had a u/s 1x a week till 36weeks then 2x....it didnt bother me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carter61110
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Quoting Pandapanda:

Sounds like you're being set up for failure, to me. =\ If it's well diet controlled, an NST is unecessary and will eventually probably bring up the mention of induction. GD doesn't mean high risk, danger, etc. I've been there done that, it's not NST-worthy and you have the right to turn down the tests. 

NST usually last 20 minutes I think. They strap you to a monitor and leave you alone in a room for a while. Bring a book, it's boring. 

My midwife would not set me up for failure. She is the most natural birth midwife in my area. She has the lowest csection and induction rate and would never do something that she felt was unnecessary. She doesn't even give epidurals during labor because she does not believe in interventions. Not every practitioner that does NSTs and ultrasounds is setting the mom up for failure, FYI. Some of them truly do JUST care about the baby's health. 

CafeMom Tickers
MomOfNolan
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I had one done after I had passed up my due date (by a long shot)... it wasn't a big deal.  My doctor ended up sending me to the hospital because she didn't like the results after an hour or so... The pretty much repeated the who process there and everything looked good, and I went home.  it was reassuring to just have him checked.  Any chance to get new information about a baby in the womb is welcomed in my book :)

MNmommy08
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM

My NST's last anywhere from 20 mins to an hour. It is very boring, you just lay there while they monitor you. They check your's and baby's heartbeat and pulse. They monitor for contractions. They take BP and a clicky thing that you mark when you feel baby move. I have been getting them once a week for about 4 weeks now.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM
They are very boring. It is just a monitor strapped to your belly for about 20 minutes & they read the results.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Heather2001
by Heather on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I agree 100%.

Quoting Pandapanda:

CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
If you have a smartphone, your in luck! ;) mine entertains me!

If not, book, magazine, ect...

Mine have been 25 minutes, just with the two monitors on belly :) nothing crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I have to "like" this 100%

It seems sometimes that some ppl think all Drs, Midwives ecy are out for csections and inductions. My drs dont want that, and help anyway they can to avoid it..my drs just dont want to see anything happen to baby or me.

Some drs suck..yes..but not ALL.

Quoting Carter61110:

Quoting Pandapanda:

My midwife would not set me up for failure. She is the most natural birth midwife in my area. She has the lowest csection and induction rate and would never do something that she felt was unnecessary. She doesn't even give epidurals during labor because she does not believe in interventions. Not every practitioner that does NSTs and ultrasounds is setting the mom up for failure, FYI. Some of them truly do JUST care about the baby's health. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pacificamom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM

never had one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN