Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Next week, (36 weeks) I start having NSTs because I have gestational diabetes and they just want to be sure the baby is doing well. My gestational diabetes is well maintained by diet and my midwife is not concerned at all but it is protocol for her to just be sure baby is responding well. 

So what should I expect? How long should the NSTs last? Any other advice you have about NSTs? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Replies (11-15):
Cheyennesmommy4
by Christina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Nst's usually last about a1/2 hour. i had them 2x a week until i delivered.

wruss
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM
I did them once a week with my oldest once I started bp issues...went to 41 Weeks with her...and twice a week from 28 Weeks til 37 with my youngest...I had her at 37 Weeks...I was high risk with blood issues with my youngest though...they were boring...my oldest would go crazy in them...youngest always ended up sleeping during them, and we ended up with ultrasounds every time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
devinsmom42
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I had nst during the last few weeks of my pregnancy last month. It was due to having excess fluid and me I being on heart meds. They freaked me out more then anything lol but that probably won't be the case with you. Its just the last three tomes I went, my baby didn't "pass" or do good on those test. They kept telling me baby was sleepy and needed to wake up and I kept telling them he was moving like crazy and kicking the crap out of me. They go off his heartrate and his was low due to me being on heart meds. Anyway, he failed but I had an amnio and his lungs weren't ready so they still felt he was safer Inside. I had biophysicals done after every nst and he would pass those....those test for different things and you get a certain amount t of points for each...like movement, practice breathing, opening and closing their hands...and I passed those with flying colors up until the last one where he scored a 6/10 (have to have 8 to pass). So I was sent directly to hospital to be induced BUT I was 39 weeks at that point and really feel like we gave my baby the best to do well after birth. My Dr didn't do those to set me up for failure but to make sure baby was happy and healthy in there. They kept him in as.long as he was better off inside. The min he wasn't, he needed to be born. And that gained me an extra couple weeks that some drs probably wonuldnt have bothered with. But two weeks prior(although I was full term) babies lungs weren't developed and would have had a more difficult time after birth so I thank my Dr for that. Not all test are bad and setting someone up...as long as you trust your Dr. And not all interventions are bad BC they save lives! Who knows what may have happened to my baby had he not been watched closely? Sounds like you have a good Dr/midwife that you trust so I think you'll be fine. Take a book or something you can do laying on your back since it cam get kinda boring lol. Sorry for my essay but figured I'd share my story with you! My baby is now two weeks old and doing great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hotpinkpoodle
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I had one last week because baby's heart rate was a bit elevated during my exam, which isn't typical for me. I just laid on my side and they strapped a monitor with a belt around my belly and recorded baby's vitals and movements for 20 minutes. I wasn't worried at all because I'm low risk and my exams usually last 5 minutes, so I just relaxed for 20 minutes and let the monitors do their job. I actually enjoyed hearing baby Jack move and kick on the monitor... He's a very active little guy. ;) Oh-- and I was told baby was perfect, and I loved hearing that!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

yes--

Unnecessary interventions mean adding risks, safest to avoid,

Quoting Heather2001:

I agree 100%.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Sounds like you're being set up for failure, to me. =\ If it's well diet controlled, an NST is unecessary and will eventually probably bring up the mention of induction. GD doesn't mean high risk, danger, etc. I've been there done that, it's not NST-worthy and you have the right to turn down the tests. 

NST usually last 20 minutes I think. They strap you to a monitor and leave you alone in a room for a while. Bring a book, it's boring. 

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN