Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Should I start walking more?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm 34 weeks today & my doctor said I'm not dilated at all, which is good. She said that my cervix is soft, though, which means my body is getting ready pretty much. She said that hopefully I don't go into labor for the next 2 weeks, but if I do & they feel she is ready at 36 weeks, I can go ahead & have the baby, but she'd prefer me delivering at 38 weeks since that would be considered "full term" & safer than 34 or 36 weeks. But, do you think I should start walking more to prepare myself or should I wait until I hit the 36 weeks mark?

having a baby

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM

you don't need to "prepare". Some people start dialating weeks before they go into labor, some don't start dialating until they are actually in labor.

You want to keep that baby in as long as possible so the baby has the best chance of being healthy!

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM

No matter what you do, your baby will not come until their lungs produce a protein that actually triggers labor. A soft cervix means nothing- you can be soft and dilated for months and never go into labor. It's extremely unlikely you will go into labor before 38 weeks unless you have a history of preterm labor or your genetics indicate a shorter time needed for gestating. 

Walk as much as you can without overdoing it. The more you walk, the more open your pelvis opens for labor. Women who walk regularly throughout their pregnancy pelvises open up almost 35% more than those who do not. :)

jbjb1024
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I didn't know that about the lungs! I have been wondering what triggers the baby to come!

Quoting Pandapanda:

No matter what you do, your baby will not come until their lungs produce a protein that actually triggers labor. A soft cervix means nothing- you can be soft and dilated for months and never go into labor. It's extremely unlikely you will go into labor before 38 weeks unless you have a history of preterm labor or your genetics indicate a shorter time needed for gestating. 

Walk as much as you can without overdoing it. The more you walk, the more open your pelvis opens for labor. Women who walk regularly throughout their pregnancy pelvises open up almost 35% more than those who do not. :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kilahchaos
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

as the previous posters mentioned, being thinned out really doesnt mean much :) With my first pregnancy, I was 2 centimeters dialated and 70 percent thinned out from the time I was 30 weeks on! I didnt end up having him untill 38 weeks 6 days! Walking is always a good idea :) But dont expect your little one to come too early, most first time pregnancies go overdue!

PresleyLove
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I wouldn't encourage any progress if at all possible till you are Atleast 38. Baby is no where near ready! Though chances of survival are l high, why push it?
kelly617
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Absolutely walk!

I personally think walking during my pregnancy really helped my labor.
BUT I don't think it will make you go into labor any sooner and really you don't WANT to have your baby at 36 or even 38wks...
A friend of mine went into labor on her own at 37wks....her son spent almost 3wks in the NICU
Even my son was only 2 days early spent 3 days in the NICU.
The longer your lil nugget can bake the better

TLQSlovesME
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I hope people are taking my post as me wanting my baby girl to be here earlier, lol. I'm just simply asking if I should walk more to help my labor..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)