Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice...

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:01 AM
  • 11 Replies
So Im 14 weeks and 2 days pregnant.
I just got hired at burger king aweek ago but I didn't tell them I was pregnant. I really needed a job because I have a ten month old already and I'm trying to get my own place. I know I didn't really have to inform them that I am Pregnant.
Thing is all I've heard are bad things about the gm. None of the employers or other managers like him and I heard he's not a nice man.
I'm already showing and you can tell when I have certain shirts on.
My question is should I inform them that I am pregnant or just wait til they ask me? I just don't wanna lose my job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:01 AM
I wouldn't say anything, unless it is affecting your job. Eventually you will need to discuss your maternity leave though.

Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xanbuttsmom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:24 AM
They can't fire you for being pregnant its illegal. They can however be assholes to try to make you quit. I had a operations manager that was a total bitch to me but I stayed and I was awesome at my job. The longer I stayed and the harder I worked, no matter how big I got, I felt like I was sticking it to her lol. It felt great.

Fact is everyone is gunna find out sooner or later. It doesn't matter how that is. If you are more comfortable with them bringing it up, fine. I told my boss my first day of work. I just wanted to get it over with. Just be prepared to be "the pregnant girl".

Good luck and congrats on the new job. :)
amberandmonker
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
You won't qualify for fmla maternity leave when you have the baby bc you have to have worked full time for I believe a year to qualify. Legally you don't have to tell them anything and legally they cannot ask you. If they fire you for being pregnant I would sue them. But be careful because they may look for other ways to get rid of you like if you call in or if you're late etc. good luck !
jesuschild06
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

first, remember the GM could just be strict to the rules and make the people do their job, rather than actually being a jerk like people complain about. People dont like managers that make them do their job. 

second, this early its not neccessary. I have read that around 20 weeks, or later you want to inform your managers to discuss maternity leave. you dont want to wait to long, but telling them to early doesnt do any good (unless there are physical things they want you to do that you literally cant because it is dangerous for baby....and you). 

If they ask, dont lie. But dont stress about the fact youhavent told them.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I would just keep it to myself and do my job well.  I agree--I would wait until closer to 20 weeks to tell.  Also, I wouldn't worry about the gm.  Good luck with the new job!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Do you want to come back postpartum?

ahawkins
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM
This isn't true everywhere...I have always worked pt and worked with my other pregnancies and they legally Have to give you up to 12 weeks leave...

Quoting amberandmonker:

You won't qualify for fmla maternity leave when you have the baby bc you have to have worked full time for I believe a year to qualify. Legally you don't have to tell them anything and legally they cannot ask you. If they fire you for being pregnant I would sue them. But be careful because they may look for other ways to get rid of you like if you call in or if you're late etc. good luck !
ShutterFreak03
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I wouldnt say anything til 20 weeks or just wait til they ask you
amberandmonker
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm#2b

Lol we must not be talking about the same thing then.

Quoting ahawkins:

This isn't true everywhere...I have always worked pt and worked with my other pregnancies and they legally Have to give you up to 12 weeks leave...

Quoting amberandmonker:

mmccrea
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM

You do not need to inform him.  If he wants to take the risk and ask, just be honest.  It is against the law to fire you for being pregnant.  Congrats on your baby and new job!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)