Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Yikes....Need some advice

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 3 Replies

My son, Nash, is 7. Over the last few days he's been acting up. Not listening when Chris or I give him direction, throwing a fit when we tell him no, and last night he had a tantrum when it was time to go to bed. I know he's a kid and they like to test their limits sometimes, but he seemed to kick it up a notch after our appointment with the midwife yesterday. I'm worried he starting to show signs of jealousy towards the new baby. We're taking him to a hockey game tonight and doing whatever he wants to do tomorrow. I'm hoping that will help. Any input or advice from the other moms in here?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Be careful not to dish out "nos" and offer more "yeses" instead---     Save the "no" for when you need it!   Pick your battles.

Did you stop, breathe, wait, and ask him how you can help?    Maybe he needs to be heard.     I suggest working with him in these times-- 
Frustration-tantrums go hand in hand...

He is at an age of adjustment so this might be normal stuff, but also dealing with a new sibling is hard to process too.    
Maybe he shouldn't go to the appointments, be less/not involved and you don't talk about it for a while.   OR you ask to involve him more, in ways that HE chooses.

I suggest starting a tradition or rhythm with him soon that will be able to be continued postpartum.    Like evening trips to the park or playdates every Saturday at someone else's house, or Sundays to the zoo or whatever is fun for him and reasonable for you.

GL!

vannahmarie
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. I'll talk to Chris tonight and see how he feels. I hope since it just started happening we'll be able to address it and help Nash out.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Just take it day by day...it happens.  I found after the baby was born everything we did with our other children we were so positive about them being big sisters, and they got special treatment.  It's hard for a child to adjust, but he will...and he will be the proudest big brother!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)