Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hypermesis Gravidarum (my story)

Posted by   + Show Post

Below is a link describing what Hypermesis Gravidarum is. Please read first if you are not familiar with HG.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/hyperemesisgravidarum.html

I decided to write about my experience with Hypermesis Gravidarum, because 1) I am sick of everyone saying they know how I feel. No. You do not, not unless you have had HG and not just morning sickness and 2) most people are not familiar with HG. When Kate Middleton was sent to the hospital because she had it, a lot of people (including myself) said there was no reason for her to be admitted into the hospital over morning sickness, it is just because she is a royal.

This is currently my first pregnancy. It started out as a twin pregnancy, but at the six week mark, I lost one of the twins. I started feeling nausea soon after I got pregnant, and then the day after Christmas (about my fourth or fifth week) I started throwing up. It was about two to three times a day, but very bearable.

The weekend after New Years, I was still throwing up and was starting to feel sick as well (I still consider this regular "morning" sickness). A month prior to this, my dad had invited us to go to St. Louis with him and by this point; he already bought the hotel rooms, so I felt I had to go even though I was sick. I explained the situation to my doctor and she prescribed me Zofran to take along with me. I threw up five times just on the way down there. I was sick the whole time and threw up three times on the way back. This is while I was taking the medicine.

I continued to be sick until my first appointment which was soon after I got back. At this point I found out I was having twins, unfortunately there were two babies and one heart beat. My doctor had me come back the next week. I was getting sicker. Now, I am having a really difficult time focusing in school and all I wanted to do was sleep. By this point, not only I am throwing up 75% of what I eat and drink, my husband had to take over all of my chores because I started going through what I called "get up, throw up" stage. It was all I could do just to leave the bed to go to the couch. A lot of times I didn't even do that. My grades in school started slacking because with my two online classes, everything was being done at the last minute and half-assed. In my two on campus classes, if I showed up (which I did, but I was usually late) I had a hard time focusing on what the teacher was saying. I also had a really hard time taking showers. I dreaded them. Every time I would get into the shower, I would double over sick. So, instead of showering every day, I started showering every other day. I made it as quick as possible which meant only washing hair and body, I couldn't even bring myself to shave. Being this sick took a real hit on my self esteem.

I did have some "good days" where I would have an hour or so of not feeling sick. During this time, I would trying to avoid anything I knew would make me sick, have a five-minute sex session with my husband, and drink and eat to try to keep my energy up.

When my eighth week appointment came, we found out Baby B was a vanishing twin. My husband and I talked to my doctor about the problems I was having with morning sickness. She said  if I got to dehydrated to go to the hospital to be hooked up to an IV and prescribed me Reglan, and told me to come back in two weeks. I took Reglan home with high expectations, but it didn't work. I was still getting sicker; by this time I have lost two pounds, and started throwing up five to six time a day. When I would throw up, it was not "throw up your food and get on with your life", I lingered over the toilet as my body instead I had more food and liquids that needed to come up. The only way I could stop dry heaving was to lie on my back and try to get control over my breathing while tears are pouring down my eyes.

By this point, I started to pray to God asking him to end my pregnancy, because I was not strong enough to handle this. I just wanted it to all end. I even had a dream that I was offered a suicide option, where the "doctors" would just keep my body alive until the baby was born. In the dream, I considered this to be a real option, and I wonder if it was real if I would have really considered it too. I broke down and cried in my husband's arms and he rushed me to the ER.

The nurse at the ER was really nice, but I felt as though she really couldn't understand what I was going through. I didn't even know what I was going though. She said I was dehydrated and the doctor on call ordered for me to have two bags of IV with Zophran. Then I was sent home.

After I had some fluids in me, I felt better, but the vomiting continued in full strength. I was soon dehydrated again and back in the ER. The doctor on call comes in orders me to have an IV and then gives me Phenergan, which I threw up within minutes of taking it. Four hours or so later, he tries giving it to me again, and again, I threw it back up minutes after taking it. I also threw up the apple juice and crackers they had given me as well. He puts Zophran in my IV, I can finally hold down some crackers and he sends me home again.

It is only five days to go till I see my doctor again so I bear through the sickness. Two days before the appointment, I am not hold down anything or do anything; the slightest moving would cause me to go into frenzy. I spent most of my day lying in the bed, wishing I would die already, reading stuff on Cafe mom off my phone while trying not to move.

At my ten weeks doctor's appointment, I had lost another six pounds, and was completely depleted emotionally and physically. When I got to her office, I burst into tears and told her I couldn't do this anymore, I have not been able to eat or drink anything in days and I didn't know what to do anymore. She immediately sent me back to this hospital to be put on the IV and Zophran. They told me I have been diagnosed with severe Hyperemesis Gravidarum. My doctor's office got in contract with my insurance company and had everything setup for me to have a Zophran pump I can wear while I was away from the hospital. The Home Health nurse came to my home, showed my husband and me how to use it, and how to chart everything. I finally felt like someone out there actually cared and understood what I was going through.

This is my second day on the pump, and even though I am still throwing up a little, and my appetite is very small, I still feel better than I have in a while. My husband changed it out for me this morning and it was not a horrify experience he did quite well. Finally I have hope that I might make it through this pregnancy.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (21-23):
MariaGentle
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I keep trying to tell myself that too. When the baby is here, hopefully I will be more sincere about that statement.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

It's hard but worth it!

Quoting avaana06:

Wow, I don't know how you all survive this. Sounds awful!!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

It can. It can also last after your baby is born but that is very rare. I was sick until my son was 3 months old. Not terribly sick at that point but still nauseous and throwing up from time to time. I threw up for an entire year for that child!

Quoting avaana06:

HOw awful! Does this last your entire pregnancy?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rjmac88
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

i had severe morning sickness (lost  a mountain of weight the whole pregnancy and was throwing up 15-20 times a day all 9 months) but i never had HG. i would have died if it got any worse. it was horrible just like that

Astrachanca
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:25 AM
My doctor had this when she was pregnant with both of her girls. She was hospitalized a few times as well for dehydration. She told me the only thing that helped her was acupuncture. She had some wristbands specially made for her with acupuncture needles she would wear all day. It might be something to seriously look into! She's a doctor that tried everything else... Good luck momma. Hope you feel better and get some relief.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)