Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hyperthyroidism during pregnancy. HELP. PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

The doctor has me going for a level 2 ultrasound because I developed hyperthyroidism with this pregnancy. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm really scared because they said she could be born premature or very small because of it. Have any of you had this problem before? Any ideas on what to expect? Thanks ladies. I'm just really nervous because I want my little girl to be healthy.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM

bump

katie11908
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I had hyperthyroidism with my first pregnancy and hypo with my others. It's never caused me any issues. I actually have no thyroid now.  I am monitored closely though and am high risk but i believe that is more so because i have have been labeled with incompetent cervix. I would stress! So many women have this issue and dont even know it and have perfectly healthy babies! Good luck! Btw my boys were born at 8pounds 1ounce and 7pounds 9ounces and i am now expecting my third. All healthy sizes :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
MommytoTwo.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Did you take antithyroid medication during your pregnancy?

Quoting katie11908:

I had hyperthyroidism with my first pregnancy and hypo with my others. It's never caused me any issues. I actually have no thyroid now.  I am monitored closely though and am high risk but i believe that is more so because i have have been labeled with incompetent cervix. I would stress! So many women have this issue and dont even know it and have perfectly healthy babies! Good luck! Btw my boys were born at 8pounds 1ounce and 7pounds 9ounces and i am now expecting my third. All healthy sizes :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katie11908
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Oh yes if i didn't take my thyroid medicine and keep it closely monitored to the dose it should be my baby and i could die. I have no thyroid period so i have to take that replacement hormone daily for the rest of my life regardless of pregnancy or my organs would slowly start shutting down...  Since you only have a temporary condition they will probably just prescribe you a daily pill for the rest of your preganncy and monitor it...

Quoting MommytoTwo.:

Did you take antithyroid medication during your pregnancy?

Quoting katie11908:

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
ahawkins
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I had this with my last pregnancy and I was fine so was baby, he was 8lbs 2oz at birth and I was induced so no problems there. Good luck hope everything goes well for you :)
MommytoTwo.
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Did they have you on PTU or MMI because I was told that MMI can cause the skin not to form over the skull. I'm just scared because I didn't have any complications with my last pregnancy.

Quoting ahawkins:

I had this with my last pregnancy and I was fine so was baby, he was 8lbs 2oz at birth and I was induced so no problems there. Good luck hope everything goes well for you :)

ahawkins
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I was on a medication, but now that I'm thinking about it I was hypo... So they had me on sythroid
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)