Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Honey during pregnancy?!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

Is it okay to have a little bit of it in my hot tea? I read or heard or something that its not safe during pregnancy. Just wondering....

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Yes it is safe in general.
Are you
having a healthy pregnancy?   Are you getting the honey locally (assuming not a 3rd world region)?

amc103
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

they say that you should stick to pasturized honey during pregnancy (although local unpast. is healthiest in general) 

TrabysMommmy
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM

My dr.'s have told me no honey they really didn't say why...

~Laura~

momma4xover
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I was told not to, but when asked why there was no real reason. My dr said said something about germs inhabiting, like in lunch meat- but it didn't really seem right. Then I asked my midwife and she had no reason either. This is my 5th baby and its one of the things I crave the most, so I eat it when I want it. I haven't found a reason not to yet! Maybe that will change, but for now... I NEED my honey! lol

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I have never heard of not eating honey. I use it in everything!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MariaGentle
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
My doctor said to eat whatever I can hold down. I can hold down honey, so I eat it.
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I've always had it without any issues.

yummypeaches
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM

My mom's friend is a bee keeper and I helped her harvest her honey last fall. I have about a gallon of unpasteurized raw honey that I have been eating/drinking with everything throughout this pregnancy. I am 21 weeks and everything is healthy!

needsupport100
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Don't eat a lot if any. The reason it's. "Not safe" is because its not fullly digested by the bee." The baby can't fight off germs that are naturally in honey. Because of that, infants up to 1 year aren't supposed to have it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)