Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

protein?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 11 Replies

so when i went for my initial visit, the nurse suggested i up my protein intake to see if that would help the shaking and such.  (DH giggled and got smacked).    so i bought Boost High Protein and i felt great. unfortunately, it's $16/case, and only 3g of protein per serving and i went through 2 per day.   would protein shakes be ok?  i know a lot of body builders use protein powder shakes for gaining muscle mass, but would it be ok for my purposes?

there is something called EAS lean 15 protein powder. it has 3x the protein plus vitamin C and E and fewer calories.  plus it's 25 servings for $20.  the contents and stats on it have this disclaimer.  ** Percent Daily Values listed below are intended for adults and children over 4 years of age. Foods represented or purported to be for use by infants, children less than 4 years of age, pregnant women, or lactating women shall use the RDI's that are specified for the intended group provided by the FDA.

there is no indication that it's not ok.  usually stuff like that would be "check with your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing".  i don't want it as a meal replacemnt or to lose weight or anything.  but i hate beans and i'm getting really burned out on chicken etc, and i don't think i'm getting enough to make a difference anyway. 

ETA- lactose is not my friend so upping the dairy isn't much of an option.  i can drink 2%w/o issue but that's about it. 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PresleyLove
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Kellogg's has more than that.. I also drink muscle milk which is 25g and barely any sugar. I drank one almost everyday.
PresleyLove
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Oh and muscle milk is dairy free
Always1222
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I'm not sure about the protein mix, I don't see why not, but if the label says that I would check with a nurse/doctor. Also to get some extra protein in your diet you there's some easy snacks that could helps. Like: Apples w/peanut butter or almond butter. Mininally processed jerky, most nuts have protein. 

Amycapl
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM

instead of shakes, you can get more protien in your diet with whole foods instead. try nuts and nut butters and beans.

nicole2884
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM
What about soy. Milk. Avocado peanut butter. any meat. Eggs almonds

I would ask your doctor about whey. Its really intended for athletes so it may give you other nutrients that you dont need or are already in your prenatal an could be going overboard
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sfank
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I second trying eggs. I get crazy bad protein cravings when I'm pregnant and having eggs every morning really helps me out. Plus, they have tons of other good stuff and the cholesterol isn't an issue if you have two or less per day (a lot of the really good stuff is in the yokes so just doing whites isn't as healthy).

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Have you tried upping your protein intake via food?

Fish is very high in protein (salmon, tuna - 40g protein per 6oz can, cod, fish sticks, etc) and safe during pregnancy. A chicken breast has about 30g protein in it and can be a great option for chicken salad. I'd suggest having it 2-3 times a week! You can also eat more beans, nuts, peanut/almond butter, and eggs are great choices. Munching on nuts during the day is a great way to keep yourself full as well as get extra protein into your diet. 

One of my favorite things to eat while pregnant is salad (romaine lettuce with spinach leaves mixed in) with craisins, garbanzo beans, pecans, sliced boiled egg, and a little bit of pasteurized feta. It's delicious and very high in protein! 

If you do want the extra protein drinks/powder, I would go to Sams Club and get it in bulk. it ends up being significantly cheaper and lasting longer. 

sparklebug86
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Protein of any form is usually ok HOWEVER you must check for Aspartame or anything similar. 

Typically anything geared towards weightloss or weightgain such as bulking up would not be ok 

sparklebug86
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Muscle milk is safe from an ingredient perspective however you may want to look into the heavy metals that have ended up in their products

In July 2011, "Consumer Reports" measured the amount of contaminating heavy metals in a variety of protein drinks. Testing an amount equivalent to three servings -- which it claims is a common daily intake among people who consume protein supplements -- it found several protein drinks exceeded safe levels of contamination by arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury. While ready-to-drink chocolate Muscle Milk did not exceed safety standards for these contaminants, vanilla cream Muscle Milk powder showed excessive levels of lead and chocolate Muscle Milk powder contained high levels of both lead and cadmium. Because of these contaminating heavy metals, you might choose to avoid Muscle Milk during pregnancy.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/492174-is-muscle-milk-safe-during-pregnancy/#ixzz2JnK9mYVc

Quoting PresleyLove:

Oh and muscle milk is dairy free

CafeMom Tickers

amyrebecca1853
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I'm vegetarian and was pregnant with twins. Doctors recommended three protein shakes a day. I think anything without artificial sweeteners is good. I used something I found at a health food store. I think it was hemp protein actually lol. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)