Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

what can i take??(maybe ytmi?)

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 5 Replies
all 4 of my kids and my hubby had the stomachflu yesterday...vomiting and diarrhea :-( I thought I just got lucky, but unfortunately no. Is there anything you can take while pregnant for excessive diarrhea? I don't vomit, haven't since I was 2 years old...but being in the bathroom every 3 min is exhausting!! I'm drinking water and Gatorade, but afraid on going to get dehydrated...any suggestions???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Xanbuttsmom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Is it safe to use anti-diarrhea drugs during pregnancy?

Expert Answers

John Larsen, ob-gyn, genetics

Yes. In fact, you should use either a kaolin-and-pectin- (Kaopectate) or loperamide- (Imodium) type medication if you're having bad diarrhea, because otherwise you could become seriously dehydrated and put your baby at risk. If you get really dehydrated, your blood won't be able to circulate as well to your organs or your placenta, and you'll need to be hospitalized and given intravenous fluids.

If you have severe or bloody diarrhea, see your healthcare provider right away. An underlying bacterial cause, such as food poisoning, could pose a threat to both you and your baby.

Ronald J. Ruggiero, pharmacy and obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive science

Those medications are fine to use for diarrhea during pregnancy. But if you're having bloody diarrhea and running a fever, that's usually a sign of something serious, like a dangerous bacterial infection, and you should see a doctor.

Hope that helps. Feel better!!
3_times_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Thank you! I lost the list from my doctor so I wasn't sure..
TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM

do not take pepto.  it's an asprin product.  

Amycapl
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I would recommend coconut water instead of Gatorade. Natural electrolytes and no nasty cancer causing ingredients
KatieGirls2
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Coconut water is so good and refreshing! I love it :)

Quoting Amycapl:

I would recommend coconut water instead of Gatorade. Natural electrolytes and no nasty cancer causing ingredients
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)