Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How long should I give it before i call...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 12 Replies

to tell them it's not working?

Info:

I was given Zofran for extreme nausea with some vomiting and major *TMI* diarrhea every 30 minutes to 1 hour for over 12 hours and becoming severely dehydrated.  Two days before starting the Zofran, I was itchy EVERYWHERE but very mild.  However, the day I started the Zofran, the itching intensified all crazy.  Now it's not just mild but SUPER FREAKING ITCHY EVERYWHERE!!!

So they changed my prescription and wanted me to call back if the itching persisted.  It has been over 24 hours since taking the Zofran and I am still SUPER SUPER SUPER ITCHY EVERYWHERE.  I called and they put a note into my doctor and told me to try Benadryl to see if that helped.  If not, the itching may not be related to the medicine at all, just coincidental that my itching went from mild to severe around the same time.

It's only been 30 minutes since my first dose of Benadryl and I am still super extremely itchy absolutely everywhere.  How long does it take to kick in? How long should I give it before calling and letting them know that it did not work (if it doesn't)?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EvilAsh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I was gonna say, try benedryl before I read the last part. It takes a little while to kick in. I'd still call though.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM

It can take a little for it to kick in full force.  You could just give a call to see what they think too.

kierasmommy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Oatmeal bath should help in the meantime
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

shouldn't take longer than an hour to kick in...if I were you I would call... it could be a problem with your liver and not the medicine at all. Let us know, hopefully it's nothing!

PEEK05
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

They want me to go to urgent care? What would a non-OB other than prescribe a different antihistimine? I am literally scratching so bad.  I itch absolutely everywhere.

Astrachanca
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM
They might want to run some blood work. It could be related to your liver or something else. Go in and keep us updated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cynthje
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I would go in and have them check if it isnt cholestasis if i were you.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I would call and let them know right within an hour, because the itching could be caused by something potentially serious. Like cholestasis of the liver

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM

They would start running tests for Cholestasis most likely.

Quoting PEEK05:

They want me to go to urgent care? What would a non-OB other than prescribe a different antihistimine? I am literally scratching so bad.  I itch absolutely everywhere.

PEEK05
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM
It was a waste Of my time. The doctor looked at me for two seconds and said, "oh you're pregnant? It's just dry skin from hormonal changes." and then I kid you not said, " stop using any kind of body wash shit -- excuse me -- body wash stuff and get some soap." then put my diagnosis as "itchy skin" and told me how to treat dry skin. I was there for about five minutes. I don't even use body wash lol.

Seriously besides the ob department I have Ben thinking about changing primary clinics for a while now. I just had another really unprofessional experience in a different department last month with my son. This place is awful!!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

They would start running tests for Cholestasis most likely.

Quoting PEEK05:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)