Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How scary is birth?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 28 Replies

Okay I know this sounds stupid, but I am worried about the birthing process. I don't like hosptials and needles. And I've heard so many stories of epidurals not working or having to try to get it in multiple times and stillbirths and having clamps left in after a C-Section. I'm just so nervous. How bad does the epidural hurt? I really hate needles....

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

It doesn't have to be a scary process. Doing research and being more informed has helped me. I'm sure plenty of people will tell you the best way to avoid a c-section would be to avoid unnecessary medical interventions (such as induction in many cases and an epidural). That said, I did have an epidural for about 45 minutes with my first birth and it was nice to get a short break, but couldn't feel to push, so they turned it off. This time around I'd rather go without it. 

connorsmama06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I have had three babies. It is not scary. I also hate needles. The epi is not bad at all. Just a little pinch. 

TTC2Long
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM
It's only scary if you're uneducated. Take this time to learn about the natural birthing process. I don't mean birthing naturally, though it's something to consider if you're afraid of needles. I mean learn, from REAL sources, what your body does during the process. I highly recommend the books by Dr. Sears. He is naturally-minded but he also talks about medical options. His books are excellent. Take the mystery out and remember that birth is a totally natural bodily function. Women have been doing it, multiple times, for thousands of years. If it were really so terrible and dangerous, the human race wouldn't have populated the earth as it has. Right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this

How "bad" do you want it to be?

It really doesn't have to be bad at all, you have the power to affect the experience.     It can be pure divine bliss, ecstatic, safe, and all-natural...   or it can be worse than a nightmare, like nothing you could have imagined...
With preparation/info/help, you get to work to create what you want!

I prefer the happy & enjoyable experience to the horror, personally, so I have worked for that.     It's worth it!
And never any needles or epidurals for my labors (I have normal healthy pregnancies, don't need them).
If you don't like hospitals or needles then that is a great place to start--   avoiding them to begin with.

GL!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

shjchica
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Honestly I didn't find the epidural painful AT ALL. It made me nervous getting it because I have lower back problems and I was affraid not being able to feel the pushing I'd hurt myself - but I didn't. The Epi actually made my labor speed up quite a bit. I was in labor for 14 hours with no progress before I got it. I got mine at 2:30pm and my little Madison was born at 5:59pm. I went from 2cm 50% effaced to 100% complete in 3 hours and change, by the time they got the bed apart and my doctor suited up and all the proper people were in the room I pushed for 15 minutes and she was out. Even with the epi you can (at least I did) still feel the pressure of when you have to push. I was able to tell when her head came out and then when the rest of her body came out. But like PP said, def. do your research it'll make you become more at ease. Don't listen to peoples "horror stories" they'll drive you nuts. Hell my mom came by a few times when I was in labor to check on me she looked at the contraction monitor a few times and asked me "does that hurt?" I'm like "nope"...

jupiter5
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I wasn't scared I felt powerful lol
emilyelephant
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I barely felt the epidural at all  I freaked out because my epi wasn't working, but the woman looked at it and said she wasn't satisfied with it and did do it again, but I didn't feel it at all the second time.  The first time she did it I felt a kind of painful shooting down my leg but it didn't last long, and was nothing compared to contractions. I never saw the needle, she seemed to purposely keep me from being able to see it.  LOVED my epidural, I felt literally nothing, not even pressure.

It felt weird though, it wasn't high energy like I imagined it, it was really casual.  I was laughing and talking in between contractions.  It almost made it hard to grasp that I actually had a baby, and like I missed out on that experience.  I'd still do it again, I'm a pain wimp.

My best friend had the worst experience ever, and it really freaked me out.  I was soo nervous and sure that everything possible would go wrong, but it was great.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM

If you are worried about a c-section do not let them induce you, that can double the chance of having to get a c-section and from experience they can be HORRIBLE.  Not that anything went wrong, but it's major abdominal surgery and recovery can be hard.  It's rare that anything would happen during a c-section (and they count all their instruments so nothing gets left inside you) and sometimes they are needed, but vaginal birth is way less risky.  Also, you don't have to get an epidural, you know they say getting in the water can cut the pain up to 50%...  I had an epidural due to my c-section and I didn't feel it at all though... so if you do decide to get one, don't worry it wont hurt that bad and once that baby is coming you wont even be thinking about it!

Just research it and educated yourself, also check your hospital's policies on certain procedures...it doesn't have to be scary!  You are in control, don't let anyone push you to anything you don't want to do!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

amy31308
by Ashlee on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Needles don't bother me so the epidural doesn't scare me. I've had it twice and it honestly doesn't hurt. They numb you first so all you feel is the first initial numbing and then just more so pressure than pain while they are inserting it. It's been with it for me. :) I had no complaints and successfully breastfed afterwards.
amy31308
by Ashlee on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM
By the way is not scary at all. Labor and delivery are my favorite even induced and medicated. I've had great experiences personally.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN