Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

whooping cough

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 7 Replies
My dad was just told he had whopping cough, wasn't tested but I guess hes got enough of the symptoms. I haven't been around him in a few weeks, but I'm supposed to babysit my two siblings (ages 2 and 4) for my parents.

As far as I know I've had the vaccine, should I be worried? I'm mobile right now so I can't do much looking around
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

81% of people who get the vaccine (adults and children combined) still get whooping cough, so I wouldn't bother worrying. 

mommaslilmen
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Ok even if I'm going to watching my siblings who will be around him and I'm pregnant?

Quoting Pandapanda:

81% of people who get the vaccine (adults and children combined) still get whooping cough, so I wouldn't bother worrying. 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

You still have a chance of getting it, vaccine or not. However.. early treatment if you do get it will make a big difference. How are the kids feeling?

Quoting mommaslilmen:

Ok even if I'm going to watching my siblings who will be around him and I'm pregnant?

Quoting Pandapanda:

mem82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I wouldn't risk it. I've had broncitis while pregnant. Limited medicine allowed, strained, hurting muscles from coughing with a baby bump. Noooo thank you!

mommaslilmen
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM
They have been sick too but with flu-like stuff. Since dad has been home I haven't watched them this week. *sigh* I just got over a bad head cold

Quoting Pandapanda:

You still have a chance of getting it, vaccine or not. However.. early treatment if you do get it will make a big difference. How are the kids feeling?

Quoting mommaslilmen:

Quoting Pandapanda:

mommaslilmen
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I swore I could have had bronchitis with as much as I was coughing with my head cold. I would wake df up at night gasping for air in-between coughs, and have him worried about me rest of the night. So yea I'm not looking to catch anymore coughing illness

Quoting mem82:

I wouldn't risk it. I've had broncitis while pregnant. Limited medicine allowed, strained, hurting muscles from coughing with a baby bump. Noooo thank you!

kimmie3577
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

i wouldnt risk it but that is just me...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)