Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Successful inductions? (not about me but need advice)

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 13 Replies
My friend is being induced tomorrow morning due to severe pre eclampsia and the baby has failed to grow the past 3 weeks! She is 38 weeks & only dilated at a 1 and about 50% thinned I think she said. So my question is what are things she can do to have a successful induction that doesn't lead to a c section? She is freaking out Not wanting a c section. Her doctor will not use cervadil or any other types of induction methods so the only choice she has is pitocin (I have no idea why he wont even though I told her to request it she won't & is going by what he says). They will start the pitocin early tomorrow I think she said around 5/6am. Thanks in advance ladies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Avoid IV medications and an epidural for as long as possible. This is a big factor. Have her ask to sit in a chair and have her IV lines on a pole so she can walk around. The more the lays in that bed, the more likely she is to end up with a cesarean. 

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM
What if they want to keep the monitors on her? Can she refuse to have them on the whole time? Or should she wear them & just sit close to the machine

Quoting Pandapanda:

Avoid IV medications and an epidural for as long as possible. This is a big factor. Have her ask to sit in a chair and have her IV lines on a pole so she can walk around. The more the lays in that bed, the more likely she is to end up with a cesarean. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rliperote2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM

TBH she is in a delicate situation.  Her baby can go from stable to in danger very quickly i wouldnt advice her to refuse any advice.  I think she should do what they tell her.  If it comes down to a c section if she needs it she needs it. . Better to have the scars and a little extra recovery time then something happen to the baby or her.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

What if they want to keep the monitors on her? Can she refuse to have them on the whole time? Or should she wear them & just sit close to the machine

Quoting Pandapanda:

amberandmonker
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

As long as the baby is healthy, heart beat wise etc, it is ok to refuse a c section. Tell her to follow her instincts.. trust her body.. try to relax. and good luck to your friend and her baby.

-mamas-
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I was induced with my last baby. I had the foley done and that got me to 4cm and started contractions. I was able to wear a mobile monitor so I could walk around and even was able to get in the tub with a waterproof monitor. They did use pitocin and I had my water broken. Once my water broke I progressed much quicker. It was a total of about 48hrs of labor but they never pushed for a c-section and let me labor how I felt comfortable. The only time I was really ever in the bed was when I was ready to push and even then I refused to lay on my back so they adjusted the bed so I could be more upright. I have to say they basically did everything I requested. I wouldn't deliver at that hospital or with that dr if he is refuses her everything but pitocin. That sounds like he's lining her up for a c-section :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amy31308
by Ashlee on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
If she has severe pre eclampsia they are going to want her on her side or back and want her to have the epidural as soon as they can give it to her to help keep her blood pressure down and will probably put her on magnesium to keep them as safe as possible and this isn't one time I'd argue over a birth plan. Pre E isn't something to mess with especially if it's severe.

Some may not agree with that but I'd never want to risk my health and babies health over monitoring and walking around.

She doesn't want her bp to spike and cause a stroke or death.
av0531
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I had an induction with my DS I was 1 1/2 cm dual ate and 70% effaced. Went in the night before and they softens my cervix the next morning started the pit at 6 half an hr later broke my water. Had my epi at 10 and had him by 12:25... I hope everything goes well for her. I wouldn't play around with pre-e!
av0531
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Please excuse my typos. I'm on my phone and it continues to auto correct me.
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM
See I was induced with dd to I went in that night and they gave me cervadil and then next morning at 8 they turned on pitocin and my water broke on it's own and I had Her at 12:18 but idk what to tell her about just pitocin :(. Hopefully she has an easy time

Quoting av0531:

I had an induction with my DS I was 1 1/2 cm dual ate and 70% effaced. Went in the night before and they softens my cervix the next morning started the pit at 6 half an hr later broke my water. Had my epi at 10 and had him by 12:25... I hope everything goes well for her. I wouldn't play around with pre-e!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Just speaking from experience here.... but considering pre eclmapsia is one of the leading causes of maternal and fetal death, I wouldn't advise her to turn down fetal monitoring or a c-section if necessary.  If I would have turned mine down I would have died...I was in multi-organ failure and my blood platelets were diminishing.  Sadly, there is no trusting your body with pre eclampsia...it will seriously harm or kill you and your baby if you let it get bad enough and if you refuse medical intervention.

Quoting amberandmonker:

As long as the baby is healthy, heart beat wise etc, it is ok to refuse a c section. Tell her to follow her instincts.. trust her body.. try to relax. and good luck to your friend and her baby.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured