Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

getting induced on tuesday...

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 63 Replies

so my due date is the 17th, but i'm getting induced on tuesday because the past few weeks my baby hasn't been that reactive during the no stress tests and the doctor also said that, basically, the placenta is getting old. i'm really excited to be having my baby earlier than planned, but i'm nervous because my doctor said i might have to have a c section because my baby is measuring about 8 and a half lbs.  i'm a really tiny girl (i'm 4'10 and i weigh 120 after all the pregnancy weight gain) so i guess i might not be able to have him vaginally, but he said we'll try first. my question is, did it happen to anyone else where their baby measured big and didn't come out as big as the doctor said? i really don't want a c section and i'm hoping i also don't have to push out a 9 lb baby either. i'm just really nervous about the whole thing. i know the ultrasound measurements aren't always accurate but i don't know what to make of all of this..

*** just to clarify- my doctor didn't tell me i had to have a c section. he just said it might be possible and that we are going to try and deliver vaginally anyway and if there's an issue, then i'd have a c section. also, i'm not being induced due to the size of the baby. i'm being induced due to my body not being able to handle the baby anymore and it's, pretty much, stressing the baby out too.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theosgirl45
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

At 33 weeks they told me that my baby was measuring at 8 pounds.  I delivered at 35 weeks and he was 8 pounds exact.  So I know they were off at that last ultrasound because there is no way that he gained 0 pounds in two weeks.  Also, size doesn't always determine if you can deliver vaginally.  I know plently of short slim girls who deliver just fine.  Good Luck!

aclovesdj
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I am pregnant for the first time and just learning....so I dont have anything good to share but thanks for sharing your struggles and questions.

louzannalady
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this

It happens A LOT, that the baby isn't as big as they said. Here is a break down the American Congress of OB/GYN's guideline for fetal macrosomia (big baby), that your provider should be following!

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0701/p169.html

"Weighing the newborn after delivery is the only way to accurately diagnose macrosomia [big baby], because the prenatal diagnostic methods (assessment of maternal risk factors, clinical examination and ultrasonographic measurement of the fetus) remain imprecise." This means that there is NO WAY of knowing how much baby will weigh until he or she is weighed after birth!

"Nonetheless, the results of these reports, along with published cost-effectiveness data, do not support prophylactic cesarean delivery for suspected fetal macrosomia with estimated weights of less than 5,000 g (11 lb), although some authors agree that cesarean delivery in these situations should be considered." This means, c-section should not even come up for discussion, unless the is estimated to weigh more than eleven pounds and it is debatable whether a c-section for a estimated baby over eleven is even beneficial.

"Suspected fetal macrosomia is not an indication for induction of labor, because induction does not improve maternal or fetal outcomes." Inducing solely for the size of the baby should not happen, because it is not safer for mom or baby. 

"Labor and vaginal delivery are not contraindicated for women with estimated fetal weights up to 5,000 g in the absence of maternal diabetes." A baby estimated to be ELEVEN pounds or less is not a reason to not deliver vaginally. 

"With an estimated fetal weight more than 4,500 g, a prolonged second stage of labor or arrest of descent in the second stage is an indication for cesarean delivery." It is safe to have a trial of labor and if it doesn't work THEN take action. 

"Suspected fetal macrosomia is not a contraindication to attempted vaginal birth after a previous cesarean delivery."You can still VBAC with a "big baby"!

louzannalady
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this

HERE is info on how to reduce your risk of tearing and of shoulder dystocia.

One of my favorite pieces of information about "big babies" is this quote, "Another group of pelvises that inspire me are those of the pygmy women of Africa. I have an article in my files by an anthropologist who reports that these women have a height of four feet, on average. The average weight of their infants is eight pounds! In relative terms, this is like a woman five feet six giving birth to a fourteen-pound baby." http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pelvis.asp

Victoriaoh
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was 34 weeks pregnant they said my baby weighed 6lbs 5oz. And that the baby would probably weigh 8 1/2lbs-9 1/2lbs. My baby was born at 39 weeks 2 days and weighed 6lbs 13ozs. So, the ultrasound was definitely off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

HERE is info on the various forms of induction.

lil_momma513
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, I know plenty of very small women who have delivered vaginally. Alot of doctors actually prefer to do c-sections because it is easier on them- and they can be in and out and home sooner, and sometimes doctors use that excuse to push people into a c-section. My first doctor told me the same thing- so I actually switched doctors, because I want to have a vaginal birth and don't want to be forced into a c-section.. there is a reason that a babys skull overlaps to fit out the birth canal. To be honest, 8 pounds isn't even that big. My very small friend pushed out an 11 pound baby. I think my baby would have to be measuring at about 12 pounds before I'd consider having a c-section. Anyways.. good luck with everything, I hope you get what you want!

CafeMom Tickers
louzannalady
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM
3 moms liked this

I would be alarmed beyond belief if my provider even suggested that I may not be able to birth a baby my body grew! That is a HUGE red flag! 

Jensep
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM

My doctor told me their guesses are a pound off both ways...which makes a huge difference to me!

good luck :)

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I am sorry sweetie! Hope you have a safe healthy delivery and baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN