Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

position of baby?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 8 Replies

Im 25.4weeks. My 20week US baby was head down. 24 weeks US baby was head up. I am pretty sure baby is still head up. I know that I still have roughly 14 weeks to go, but when do I start worrying about babiesposition and trying to get baby to turn? How do I know for sure it is the head I am feeling and not the butt?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrsniebo
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM

If you feel kicking up near your ribs, the baby is likely head down. If the feet are kicking low, the baby is probably head up. Try not to stress too much yet about the baby's position, since he or she still has plenty of time to turn. My OB seemed a bit surprised that DS was already head down at my 30 week appointment.

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry at all. Baby can move as late as while in labor. If you feel the need to worry, I'd wait until the last couple of weeks. 

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I could never tell with this last pregnancy how he was positioned. But he was head down from 32+ weeks. But transverse the majority before that. You don't have to worry about baby turning unless you're in labor and he still hasn't turned ( most obs won't deliver breech vaginally ) baby will turn . Right now it still has a ton of room and will flip and flop the next few weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

You can just ask your dr at visits.  He/she will probably check at least week 36 on. Babies can still turn at full term, my brother did (if they haven't dropped, that is.)

rachelrothchild
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on your provider.  Some never worry about it.

jesuschild06
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Thats the thing. Baby likes to punch a lot too and I cant tell the difference. At my 24 week US baby was head up and punching my ribs like crazy. and kicking everywhere else. I get hit near the bladder constantly and in the ribs. But it is good to know that baby will still be able to turn late into the trimester. 

Quoting mrsniebo:

If you feel kicking up near your ribs, the baby is likely head down. If the feet are kicking low, the baby is probably head up. Try not to stress too much yet about the baby's position, since he or she still has plenty of time to turn. My OB seemed a bit surprised that DS was already head down at my 30 week appointment.

mrsniebo
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

When you're a bit farther along, you can try belly mapping. Here's an article I found helpful: http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/belly-mapping

Quoting jesuschild06:

Thats the thing. Baby likes to punch a lot too and I cant tell the difference. At my 24 week US baby was head up and punching my ribs like crazy. and kicking everywhere else. I get hit near the bladder constantly and in the ribs. But it is good to know that baby will still be able to turn late into the trimester. 

Quoting mrsniebo:

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't worry about positioning at point.
If you have worries then it might be worth investigating why, what you can do, options.   (Use another provider, palpate, belly mapping, moxibustion, etc)

GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)