Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

VBAC vs Scheduled C-Section

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 34 Replies

I know this can be a touchy topic on here, so I am going to tread lightly.  I'd just like some advise from those who have been through this and have had good/bad experiences with both so that I can make an informed decision.

My first, I was in labor for 27 hours, pushed for 4 hours only to find that he was face up, and had not moved at all.  We tried to flip him and it just wasn't working, his heart rate dropped, so we did a c-section.  Not what I had planned, but I do feel that my doctor did everything she could to avoid it. 

After my surgery, my incision got really infected (gross, I know) and it was way worse than any of the labor/surgery I went through... obviously not something I want to experience again!

So I am 21 weeks along, my doctor is on board if I want to to a VBAC but obviously gave me the risks involved. 

I can't decide, my husband, while being supportive of MY decision, would rather me not take the risks of a uterine rupture and do another c-section.  He said he would cancel his patients for a week or two until I recover to help out more, he is just afraid of the worse case scenario.  I on the other hand, have a friend who was in a similar situation and did a VBAC and was so happy she did, had a great experience and is planning on it with her next.  I'm torn! 

As bad as it sounds, I don't want a c-section scar and a scar down below!  A lot of my family is out of town, so a scheduled c-section would make it easy on them to come visit when the baby comes...

I feel like I need to make a decision, and everyone is being really supportive, but I just am not sure!  Have any of you been in this situation before?  If you did the second C-section, was it easier to recover than the first? 

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krissy920
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I had a vbac and it was the best choice ive ever made. My first ( my son) was sunny side i  up , after pushing and pushing i had to have a c section.

I was given the option for a vbac with my daughter which i  took. Since my son was sunny side up we figured the issue wasn't me not being able to push him out, so odds were with my 2nd i could have a healthy vbac. My  vbac was amazing.  i was in labor less then 2 hours. 3 pushes and my little girl was out. I had to have 3 small sticthes because she came so fast. The  recovery was a cake walk from her birth. It was so much easier then my c section.

People often forget  c sections are a major surgery and with any surgery there are many risks like blood clots ect. For me the choice is easy. I just feel bad for the mothers who dont get a choice, or the mothers who cant naturally have babies.

Ultimately its your body and you know the risks with  a  vaginal and c section delivery. You have to do what you feel is best. I would talk to your doctor more on it and make sure whatever you  choose they  back you up on 100%.

Amycapl
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

the chance of uterine rupture is less than 1% AND can happen at ANY TIME during your pregnancy.. not just during labor.  your chances of a successful VBAC are about 70% i believe. in any event, MUCH higher than your chance of a rupture.  i am planning my VBAC for August and hope so much that it happens for me!  there is a great group on here called VBAC moms.  highly recommend it. those ladies are SUPER knowledgable!

mushmom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM

If it were me and that was my reason for having my first cs, I'd likely go for a vbac.  I had an urgent cs with my first because my after my water broke with mecconium, my labor didn't progress.  I only dilated to 4 cm and stopped and my contractions never got strong enough.  dd was also stuck on my hip and ended up with a goose egg for months.  Anywho, my ob thought those issues were likely to repeat and was not really on board with a vbac so my 2nd was a planned cs.  It went beautifully.  I almost feel like I cheated, it was so easy.  Just do some research and do what you feel most comfortable with.  GL!

rachelrothchild
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I got lost after "face up" baby that wouldn't flip.  I think you meant "turn", but posterior baby isn't an emergency.  You get off your back, walk around, squat, and lean forward to get them out.

jeh81489
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM

With my first I have a scheduled C-Section due to my medical history I loved it because I did not have to go through hours of labor or pain sence you are numb the whole time. I think I want to do the C-Section route this time too, because for one you have a higher risk of taring your insition and a rsk of taring down there also I have a very high pain tolerance, but I do not feel like going through hours of bad pain and after a C-Section you either have alot less bleeding after then you do after a vaginal delivery or no bleeding at all. I also like to be able to plan for the baby so I  will and can make sure I am ready for the baby sence I know what day the baby is coming. My mom had a VBAC with my brother and she said she regrets it. I would choose another C-Section but its up to you.

expecting baby

MomOfNolan
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Thank you for the reply!  It is great to hear success stories like yours. I really am leaning towards the VBAC, mostly for the recovery aspect.  I can't imagine not picking my 3 year old up for a week or two.  It would kill me to tell him no. 

I feel like my doctor is being really supportive and said that he would be happy to do it, but if I don't go into labor on my own then he can't induce me (I guess you have stronger contractions and that usually when a rupture happens).  Last time I was 2 weeks late, and he doesn't want to do that again. 

As of now, this baby is breech, so we have a little time to wait for him to flip (crossing my fingers that he does!!) 

Thanks again!  I may message you if I have any questions, if that's ok!!

Quoting krissy920:

I had a vbac and it was the best choice ive ever made. My first ( my son) was sunny side i  up , after pushing and pushing i had to have a c section.

I was given the option for a vbac with my daughter which i  took. Since my son was sunny side up we figured the issue wasn't me not being able to push him out, so odds were with my 2nd i could have a healthy vbac. My  vbac was amazing.  i was in labor less then 2 hours. 3 pushes and my little girl was out. I had to have 3 small sticthes because she came so fast. The  recovery was a cake walk from her birth. It was so much easier then my c section.

People often forget  c sections are a major surgery and with any surgery there are many risks like blood clots ect. For me the choice is easy. I just feel bad for the mothers who dont get a choice, or the mothers who cant naturally have babies.

Ultimately its your body and you know the risks with  a  vaginal and c section delivery. You have to do what you feel is best. I would talk to your doctor more on it and make sure whatever you  choose they  back you up on 100%.

MomOfNolan
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Thanks! I will definitely look up their page.  It's something I'm definitely considering, I just want to make sure I do my research and choose the best option!  Good luck in August :)

Quoting Amycapl:

the chance of uterine rupture is less than 1% AND can happen at ANY TIME during your pregnancy.. not just during labor.  your chances of a successful VBAC are about 70% i believe. in any event, MUCH higher than your chance of a rupture.  i am planning my VBAC for August and hope so much that it happens for me!  there is a great group on here called VBAC moms.  highly recommend it. those ladies are SUPER knowledgable!

MomOfNolan
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Thank you for the advise!  I've heard some great VBAC stories, but I've also heard some great 2nd round c-sections, that it was so much better and easier to heal.  I'd like to go for the VBAC but that less than 1% chance of rupture just scares me a pinch!  I heard of a VBAC group on here, so I may check that out and try to get some more info!

Quoting mushmom:

If it were me and that was my reason for having my first cs, I'd likely go for a vbac.  I had an urgent cs with my first because my after my water broke with mecconium, my labor didn't progress.  I only dilated to 4 cm and stopped and my contractions never got strong enough.  dd was also stuck on my hip and ended up with a goose egg for months.  Anywho, my ob thought those issues were likely to repeat and was not really on board with a vbac so my 2nd was a planned cs.  It went beautifully.  I almost feel like I cheated, it was so easy.  Just do some research and do what you feel most comfortable with.  GL!

butterflycircle
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not had a c section. If I was in your situation I would feel torn as well. A c-section seems like it would be the "safer option" and better for planning around. 

I think that a vbac would be better though. yes there is a risk b/c of the c section before, but having a c section is pretty risky too. It is surgery and that comes with quite a few risks. 

A friend of mine had an emergency c section with her first and a vbac with her second (and she was high risk too). It all went well and she is planning to do the same this time around (she is pregnant now too). I have only had vaginal births so I am not the best with the advice. 

In the end it is up to you and what you are more comfortable with. I feel like a vaginal birth is better for baby and for you. I would put that ahead of superficial reasons (like scheduling and stuff). That is just my oppinion though.

good luck : )

MomOfNolan
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

He was sunny side up, and I did all of the above!  Because he was 2 weeks late, a large baby, and I have a small frame... he just didn't move.  He had one of the worst cone heads from being stuck in my pelvis for so long.  After laboring for 23 hours and then pushing for 4 more, I personally didn't have much left in me and we weren't getting anywhere.  Thanks though.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

I got lost after "face up" baby that wouldn't flip.  I think you meant "turn", but posterior baby isn't an emergency.  You get off your back, walk around, squat, and lean forward to get them out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN