Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

When should you stop breastfeeding??

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM
  • 46 Replies
I'm not due for another 5-6 months, but I'm just curious. I'm like 90% sure I'm going to breastfeed and was wondering what age is a good time to stop?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rain2Rinse
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM
4 moms liked this
When you and baby are ready. Preferably not right before he goes off to college, but you get the idea.

I'm hoping to breast feed until 24 months at least
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liams_mama12
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

There's never a "good" age to stop. Many women breast feed for years !! I stopped when my son was 4 months. It wasn't by choice. I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled and I had to stop. They gave me so much novocane, anti-botics and pain killers :( I really wish I could have continued.... my boobs weren't that big to begin with. I would breast feed until you feel like you're ready to stop.

Duquesne
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Depends on you. Depends on baby. Ideally, at minimum, you nurse baby for a year. Some allow baby to decide when to be done. Some don't enjoy it, so they choose when to wean. This question has a ton of different answers.

I say...for as long as it works for you both. :)
emilyelephant
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM

You'll get all kinds of answers.  Last I knew it was good to do it at least a year, but I believe even doing it for a week or a month is better than not at all.  I breastfed/pumped with my daughter for a month, and she has not gotten sick yet (4.5 months now) despite both my SO and I getting sick several times.  My mom breastfed my brother for 2 years, 7 months.  To each their own. :)

1st-time-m0mmy
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Thanks everyone :)
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM

There really isn't a best age. The best time is when both you and the baby are ready to stop. Of course for their nutrition, it is best to breastfeed until at least 12 months. 

tanper29
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
When the time is right. For me that is between 10-12 months.
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I agree that you should bf as long as both you and the baby want to continue. I went a little over a year with DD and loved that she never got sick during that time (other than seasonal allergies, which I also suffer from). I hope to go at least as long with the baby I'm expecting next month.

katie11908
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

When baby is ready. My son is almost 20 months and just now weaning unfortunately not by his choice though. Im expecting and my milk supply is drying up and very low :(

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

At LEAST a year if you can!  The longer the better for you and your baby.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN