Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

ultrasound at 5.5 weeks, no sac?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 31 Replies

hi ladies.
This is my 3rd pregnancy. My first ended in a miscarriage back in 2007, in 2008 iv delivered a healthy baby girl and now I'm pregnant again due October2, 2013. Yesterday I light period like cramps throughout the day. Yesterday evening my husband and I had sec and I began to have light bleeding. While I read all this stuff is normal, I was still worried because of having a previous miscarriage and none of these things happened while I was pregnant with my daughter.

I woke up this morning to stop having some cramps, but much lighter than last night and still had some light spotting. I called my doctors office and they allowed me to come in. They did blood work which won't be ready until Monday and they dud a vaginal ultrasound. What has me concerned is the fact they didn't see a sac. They saw a cluster like area which can be normal early on, but since I was trying to read up and see what's going on a lot of people are saying a sac should be already present at this time.

so I'm kind of worried that I may be miscarrying, and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or some insight? The waiting game is always the hardest since you don't know if it's okay or not.

Thanks in advance for reading.

**UPDATE** As of 5;25pm Central time 2/8/13

The bleeding was light and was subsiding, I just went to the restroom and noticed a liner had a bit more blood to it. Still not heavy, but more than what I had which is getting more worried. I know that if it's going to or is happening there's nothing that I can do about it, but the fact that I don't know and won't know is just making it harder. I mean it's almost like the beginning stage of a period but not quite so bad. I don't need a pad, but I do need to wear a liner. If I'm making any sense... and trying not to make it too gross for those reading.  

**UPDATE** As of 9:30am Central time 2/9/13

I'm now believing I am miscarrying because of the fact when I woke up this morning, I went to the  restroom I was having period like thick blood. I guess it's always possible it's no big deal, but it's just a feeling I'm getting now. Also, my husband and I figured out when the conception date would have been: January 4th. Maybe it's possible my body is just trying to have a period since I'm still so early? A pregnancy test still shows pregnant though, but we're loosing hope on this one at this point.

**UPDATE** As of 9:02am Central time 2/11/13

My doctor called back and it's officially labeled a miscarriage. We plan on trying to conceive again. Thanks for all the support ladies.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashybaby87
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Anyone?

xLilBit22
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Maybe ur not that far yet? Fx everything is okay
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashybaby87
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

That's what I'm hoping for. Just need some piece of mind I guess until we know the test results. It's not like I can say "well I feel pregnant" because honestly I don't really get many symptoms with my pregnancies with the exception of moody, tired, and the food cravings from time to time. 

MichaelsMom0711
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

If ur only 5 weeks I think u could be too early to see the sac. I have heard of people having u/s in their 5th week and they dont see one and then they go back a couple weeks later and its there. Or like a PP said, u may be even earlier than u think so u really wouldnt see anything  if u were 4 weeks or something. I had spotting around 6.5 weeks too and a few times after that but its really common in the 1st trimester as long as the bleeding isnt heavy or the cramps arent severe. the light cramps are just from hormones and/or the uterus stretching to get ready for baby, i asked my Dr when i had them early on with my first son. And the best thing is to NOT look on the internet, there are so many same symptoms for different things, some that arent even serious. I google everything and its a bad idea, go with what ur Dr says, not the internet! Plus, alot of people like to think they know everything and DONT!! good luck and keep us posted!

shortmama490
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM
To early. Wait until 8+ weeks to get another.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashybaby87
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Thanks for your response. The bleeding was light and was subsiding, I just went to the restroom and noticed a liner had a bit more blood to it. Still not heavy, but more than what I had which is getting more worried. I know that if it's going to or is happening there's nothing that I can do about it, but the fact that I don't know and won't know is just making it harder. I mean it's almost like the beginning stage of a period but not quite so bad. I don't need a pad, but I do need to wear a liner. If I'm making any sense... and trying not to make it too gross for those reading. 

Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

too early... I would wait and get another one. Remember mama, just like every baby is different, every pregnancy is too!

ashybaby87
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shortmama490:

To early. Wait until 8+ weeks to get another.

My scheduled appointment is for the 18th of Feb (this month), I only had it early because of the light cramping and bleeding.

LaLa_Ivory
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM
2 moms liked this
I had my first ultrasound at 5weeks 3 days and saw nothing. i'm now 28 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichaelsMom0711
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM

no dont worry, its not gross at all. I know what u mean. I actually would go to the ER with mine, with my first son it was like a period at about 12 weeks, it was red and covered the liner pretty quickly but then by the time we were in the ER it became brown but still lasted a few more days. With this little guy it was always brown or brownish red but from what my Dr and the ER Drs and nurses would always describe seemed like if its bright red, there were clots, and it would soak a regular pad quickly then it was a problem. also, try to take it easy at least until it stops and avoid sex. It would always happen the morning after sex or if we did it in the morning that night. if ur still worried dont feel bad about calling ur Dr back or going to the ER. My Dr would make it sound like i was exagerating but i dont care, thats their jobs and it gives u peace of mind to find out the babys ok. 

Quoting ashybaby87:

Thanks for your response. The bleeding was light and was subsiding, I just went to the restroom and noticed a liner had a bit more blood to it. Still not heavy, but more than what I had which is getting more worried. I know that if it's going to or is happening there's nothing that I can do about it, but the fact that I don't know and won't know is just making it harder. I mean it's almost like the beginning stage of a period but not quite so bad. I don't need a pad, but I do need to wear a liner. If I'm making any sense... and trying not to make it too gross for those reading. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN