Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How many c-sections?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have had 2 c-sections and I have two children. I want 6 children but I've been told having more than 3 c-sections is really pushing it. Twins aren't likely for me but I just want to know how many people out there have had multiple healthy c-sections? Are the pregnancies after each more difficult? What about the recovery? What does your incision look like and did you have a hard time losing your baby belly/weight afterwards? Thanks :-)

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
jeh81489
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Vaginal after C-Section is also risky because you are ore likely to tare your incision especially if you have had more then one C-Section.

Quoting doulala:

Do you prefer to continue having more cesareans?
  It is safest to avoid unnecessary risks and have normal, vaginal deliveries so you might want to aim in that direction.    *Lots of help here!
:-)

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:02 AM
5 moms liked this

The significance of the risks must be weighed, absolutely!    But when weighing risks to see which are more dangerous, we know that a vaginal birth is the safer route than a repeat-elective cesarean.   

Quoting jeh81489:

Vaginal after C-Section is also risky because you are ore likely to tare your incision especially if you have had more then one C-Section.

Quoting doulala:

It is safest to avoid unnecessary risks and have normal, vaginal deliveries so you might want to aim in that direction.    *Lots of help here!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

beckyaj110
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM
I haven't had any and hope to avoid having one unless absolutely necessary. I have a huge fear of surgery and would much rather deliver vaginally with the help of an epidural just like I did with DD.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeh81489
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Ok well I don't know I heard from the doctor that if you have already had a C-Section it would be safer to have another one. I knoow every doctor says different.

expecting baby

Quoting doulala:

The significance of the risks must be weighed, absolutely!    But when weighing risks to see which are more dangerous, we know that a vaginal birth is the safer route than a repeat-elective cesarean.   

Quoting jeh81489:

Quoting doulala:

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe if a mom has a specific complication-  but overall moms can safely avoid the bigger risks with ERC by choosing to vbac.       *Who we hire for our maternity care can be our greatest risk factor, too.

Quoting jeh81489:

Ok well I don't know I heard from the doctor that if you have already had a C-Section it would be safer to have another one. I knoow every doctor says different.

expecting baby 

Reluctant doctors like to believe that they haven't much influence over
their patients, but that is clearly not the case. Several studies have
found that when doctors genuinely encouraged women to have VBACs, most
of them did, and when they said nothing or acted neutral, most women
didn't. Finally, when obstetricians discouraged VBAC in women who
wanted to try it,none of them did.

Henci Goer, Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

atmsmom2011
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I got my tubes tied with my second two was enough for me.

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I had two. I healed much better after the second than the first. Although my first recovery seemed fine, I had major adhesions which caused a LOT of trouble with my next pregnancy. They fixed that up as much as possible during my second c-section. It must have worked, because my third pregnancy was much better. The recovery was tough because I ended up with a spinal migraine.

After my two c-sections I had 2 vaginal births. I intend to keep going that way.
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:41 AM
2 moms liked this
You're at least 5 times more likely to die from a c-section. A c-section is major surgery. My sister nearly died from hers. She was in recovery for a few minutes, then right back into surgery. She survived.... thanks to multiple blood transfusions.

Uterine rupture, even after 3 c-sections, is a less than 1% risk. Who ever told you "likely" is lying for his own benefit.

Quoting jeh81489:

Quoting doulala:

trilliandent42
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Hi Doulala,

My OB told me I should not have more children after this last little guy, since I had placenta previa, and a c-section...  Have you heard of women having children after PP?

Quoting doulala:

Maybe if a mom has a specific complication-  but overall moms can safely avoid the bigger risks with ERC by choosing to vbac.       *Who we hire for our maternity care can be our greatest risk factor, too.

Quoting jeh81489:

expecting baby 

JBirk
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM
*I've had 5c-sections
*Each pregnancy was different but not more difficult from having multiple c-sections
*Recovery was the same for me with each one
*My incision looks pretty good, very smooth, my OB used the surgical glue to close me up this last time which helped
*For me the baby belly has never really gone away but that's just me, if I worked hard I could probably lose it but with 5 kids there's not much room to squeeze Mommy time in ;-)
*Also my OB did recommend that this be my last & we were done having kids so I had a tubal during my last c-section

I hope this helps you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN