Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

vbac??

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
  • 43 Replies
I would like to hear good bad ugly vbac birth stories, my dr agreed to try for one do now im researching..i want to hear tips for what to do and what not to do....i am trying to make a birthing plan i know. 10 weeks is early but i need to be physically and mentally prepared
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
There are a few moms I've seen talk about their vbacs. They've all said it was the best choice and they're glad they made it.

Here's a bump so one of them sees this.
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Depends on where you live. The Sacramento region has a very high VBAC rate (including some doctors who refuse repeat c-sections if they aren't necessary). 

Quoting kimmie3577:

i live in california alot of doctors here wont do a vbac. there are just very few that would do it here... my doctor flat out told me no lol which im glad i would just rather have another c  section.... researching is the best. but im sure someone on here has went through it and would share there story

stargaze281
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you should get a different doctor who will support you on a vbac. Also, I   have heard that repeated c-sections are more risky than  vbac. It's a good idea to research.

Quoting kimmie3577:

i live in california alot of doctors here wont do a vbac. there are just very few that would do it here... my doctor flat out told me no lol which im glad i would just rather have another c  section.... researching is the best. but im sure someone on here has went through it and would share there story

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Who we hire for our maternity care tends to be our greatest risk factor (especially with vbacs).
  --And setting, too.

If your care provider says they are on-board it's worth interviewing them about it more, to find out what would risk you out as a candidate (for their practice).    It varies and is really worth knowing this up front so you can choose another provider/setting that will fit your preferences, priorities, and goals.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Quoting kimmie3577:

Yes, you can hire someone else.     Moms do have different priorities so it's worth hiring the one(s) that suit you best.      Why don't you want a vbac?      Do you feel you have Informed Consent?

Reluctant doctors like to believe that they haven't much influence over
their patients, but that is clearly not the case. Several studies have
found that when doctors genuinely encouraged women to have VBACs, most
of them did, and when they said nothing or acted neutral, most women
didn't. Finally, when obstetricians discouraged VBAC in women who
wanted to try it,none of them did.

Henci Goer, Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Yes, an elective cesarean is much riskier than a vbac.     When health & safety are the priority we'd want to avoid those big unnecessary risks.

Who we hire can be our greatest risk factor, so worth interviewing, having a birth plan & advocates.
:-)

Quoting stargaze281:

Maybe you should get a different doctor who will support you on a vbac. Also, I   have heard that repeated c-sections are more risky than  vbac. It's a good idea to research.

Quoting kimmie3577:
SarahMommie
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Here is my story=D It was the best choice for me. 

Here is my SUCCESS STORY!!!!

I was getting worried because I was getting closer to my due date and my doctor told me I could only go a week over otherwise they would have to c-section me. It was 2 days past my due date and I started to feel some real contractions. I went to the hospital when they started getting closer together and was not dialated at all.. They had me start walking I walked for an hour and a half and got checked again at this point I was having stronger and more regular contractions. However I still had not dialated farther than a 2. My doctor decided to keep me since my labor was active and an hour later I started progressing. I was so nervous because the nurses kept saying are you sure your doctor said you could vbac or oh my I can't believe you are vbacing or we dont get many people vbacing in here. But I got my epidural (that they only partially medicated) and waited it out. 6 hours of active labor and it was time to push!! It was so weird because I was actually very calm other than when I was having a contraction and I didnt have a STRONG urge to push just a small one. With every contraction for 5 contractions I pushed and swore I couldn't do it pushing harder every time and my BEAUTIFUL daughter was born. at 8lbs 1oz!!! so CAN do it!! I had no tearing no problems and a successful vbac my doctor said I was the perfect canidate simply because I truely wanted a VBAC.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have no time is to early to start getting prepared for any birth=D

Good Luck!!!

Rangelmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Did you get strapped to a bed after they decided to keep you? If not what was some of the things you did too help progress.

Quoting SarahMommie:

I was getting worried because I was getting closer to my due date and my doctor told me I could only go a week over otherwise they would have to c-section me. It was 2 days past my due date and I started to feel some real contractions. I went to the hospital when they started getting closer together and was not dialated at all.. They had me start walking I walked for an hour and a half and got checked again at this point I was having stronger and more regular contractions. However I still had not dialated farther than a 2. My doctor decided to keep me since my labor was active and an hour later I started progressing. I was so nervous because the nurses kept saying are you sure your doctor said you could vbac or oh my I can't believe you are vbacing or we dont get many people vbacing in here. But I got my epidural (that they only partially medicated) and waited it out. 6 hours of active labor and it was time to push!! It was so weird because I was actually very calm other than when I was having a contraction and I didnt have a STRONG urge to push just a small one. With every contraction for 5 contractions I pushed and swore I couldn't do it pushing harder every time and my BEAUTIFUL daughter was born. at 8lbs 1oz!!! so CAN do it!! I had no tearing no problems and a successful vbac my doctor said I was the perfect canidate simply because I truely wanted a VBAC.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have no time is to early to start getting prepared for any birth=D

Good Luck!!!

Rangelmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Did you get strapped to a bed after they decided to keep you? If not what was some of the things you did too help progress.

Quoting SarahMommie:

Good Luck!!!

Amycapl
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

never too early to start planning! i started planning for my VBAC MONTHS before i conceived!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN