Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Which is better-home birth or hospital birth?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM
  • 78 Replies

My boyfriend and I are going to be having our first baby in June and I want to kind of make a decision either to have my baby at home and have a midwife so I can be comfortable or have my baby at the hospital. My doctor says it would probally be safer in a hospital since I am pregnant with my first and since I am also 17, plus with all the better medical care. Have anyone experienced with either or is anyone getting a midwife or having your baby at the hospital?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beckyaj110
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:08 AM
I prefer being in a hospital where I have access to pain medicine but that's just because I have a very low tolerance for pain.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure why your doctor might say that- unless you are having a high risk pregnancy, but statistically that wouldn't be true.
It is generally safer and easier to avoid the place where the interventions are common, managing birth is the norm, and outcomes are less safe overall.   

There are plenty of interview questions you can ask that doctor, others, and midwives (homebirth and non HB) to get a better idea, a fuller range of perspectives.   (you might expect a doctor to sell their preferences, but it doesn't make it fact)

I am familiar with hospital and home birthing, I understrand the risks and benefits to those settings (and with care providers and their preferences), and because I have normal healthy pregnancies I would only choose a hospital if I had complications that required it.

;-)

GL!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Quoting beckyaj110:

I prefer being in a hospital where I have access to pain medicine but that's just because I have a very low tolerance for pain.

There is help for this!

:-)

Faith, Acceptance, Surrender         ~Unknown

Fear can be overcome only by Faith.         ~Dr. Grantly Dick-Read

Rain, after all is only rain; it is not bad weather. So also, pain is only pain; unless we resist it, then it becomes torment.            ~I Ching

If I don't know my options, I don't have any.          ~Diana Korte

beckyaj110
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Lol I like my epidural thanks :)

Quoting doulala:

Quoting beckyaj110:

There is help for this!

:-)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommytobe05-13
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:38 AM

I am not sure either. I had a check up today, but I did have high blood pressure and that was about it. I have been a little stressed out with school. I asked him if it was ok to have a midwife before I left the doctors office, so maybe thats why he said that. But I think I might try some light yoga, so I wont be stressed.

Quoting doulala:

Not sure why your doctor might say that- unless you are having a high risk pregnancy, but statistically that wouldn't be true.
It is generally safer and easier to avoid the place where the interventions are common, managing birth is the norm, and outcomes are less safe overall.   

There are plenty of interview questions you can ask that doctor, others, and midwives (homebirth and non HB) to get a better idea, a fuller range of perspectives.   (you might expect a doctor to sell their preferences, but it doesn't make it fact)

I am familiar with hospital and home birthing, I understrand the risks and benefits to those settings (and with care providers and their preferences), and because I have normal healthy pregnancies I would only choose a hospital if I had complications that required it.

;-)

GL!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:52 AM

If you are low risk and want to do things naturally, home birth is MUCH better than a hospital birth. Even a birthing center with a midwife is better than a hospital birth. That being said, I've had 2 hospital births. You really have to know your stuff and not let the staff, including the doctor, push you around. 

As far as better medical care, midwives can do most of the things doctors can do. You can also be transferred to a hospital quickly if the need arises. And midwives tend to be a lot better at natural birth. They know not to interfere which often causes more problems than would happen if you are left to labor on your own.

MommyLanie
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Do your research and ask a ton of questions.  Find a reputable birthing center and research.  I was considered low risk with my son.  My water broke and I had him 4 weeks early by c-section.  If I had stayed home we might not be here right now.  I lived an hour away from the hospital.  I wanted to deliver naturally but that's not what my body had planned.  There are positive and negatives on both sides.  I have heard home birthing horror stories and hospital ones as well.  Once you do your research make a birthing plan.  Just remember not all births go the way you want them to and by all means do what is best for you and your baby so both come out of the birth, happy, healthy and alive!  Good Luck and Congrats!!

For Homebirths

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/26/hospital-birth-vs-home-birth.aspx

Against HomeBirths

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/25/home-birth-increasingly-popular-but-dangerous.html

JadeTigr7
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM

For ME homebirth is safer. 

I've had nothing but low-risk pregnancy's though, and any complication I've EVER had was caused by being IN a hospital. 

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM
For me personally, I feel more comfortable in a hospital. If there would have ever been a reason for medical intervention or whatever everything was there. Things happen sometimes that are out of our control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:07 AM
It's a personal choice what is better for you and your baby. You need to do your research and talk to your Dr about whether you are high risk. Also you should check with your insurance to see if it would cover a mid wife and home birth. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN