Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting membranes stripped? **Update**

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does it hurt and what exactly does it mean? My OB said she can do this for me on Tuesday! She said between 24-48 hours after she does this, I should be in labor! If not, then it looks like we set a date for induction :/

Well I ended up going into labor all on my own sunday feb 10th, and had my little Landon Jeremiah-Thomas Monday at 12:46 am... He was 6 pounds 13 ounces and 19 inches long.. I was only in labor for about 6 1/2 hours! :)

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elly.H
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM
When they did mine I went into labor the next day and had my daughter the day after that, it didn't hurt me but he also didn do the whole thing because my cervix is so high, but when my sister inlaw had hers done she said she could barley sit. Everyone is different. What it means is that they pressing the amniotic sac away from the cervix, hope this helps have a safe delivery!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

When is your due date? Are you and baby healthy? Is this your first child?

Also.. know that this procedure comes with risks. Those risks include infection, premature rupture of membranes (which they will decide to induce you for, which has a high rate for c-section), bleeding, and delayed labor. It will only work if you are already about to go into labor, though does run the risk of triggering preterm labor (preterm meaning that your baby isn't ready, despite their estimated gestational age).

The procedure itself is where your doctor will push theior finger through your cervix opening and move their finger aorund, separating the amniotic membranes from the cervix. 

mandy1017
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I am 39+  weeks... my due date is the 16th :) and this is my 3rd child ( with my first 2 i was induced at 37 weeks due to high bp/low fluid (with my 2nd) and i developed pre e with my 1st) So far this pregnancy me and baby are both healthy, no issues at all. She said with my passed she doesnt want me going passed 41 weeks. Ill be 40 weeks on saturday(16th).

She didnt really explain the risks and that, she just said she can do it since I was going to be over 39 weeks. I figured she would of told me the risks before she did it. But she isn't pushing for it, she did say it was up to me.  

Quoting Pandapanda:

Also.. know that this procedure comes with risks. Those risks include infection, premature rupture of membranes (which they will decide to induce you for, which has a high rate for c-section), bleeding, and delayed labor. It will only work if you are already about to go into labor, though does run the risk of triggering preterm labor (preterm meaning that your baby isn't ready, despite their estimated gestational age).

The procedure itself is where your doctor will push theior finger through your cervix opening and move their finger aorund, separating the amniotic membranes from the cervix. 

KittyTussand
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM
My doc did for me at my 40 week appointment. I wasnt sure i wanted it but figured she knew best. It hurt badly my cervix was very high so it felt like she was rsmmimg me. It also caused bleeding and cramps. But no labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Being that you haven't gone into labor on your own before, you could very well go past 41 weeks by a few days. Sometimes it takes longer for your body to do it's thing with subsequent pregnancies if it's never been able to go on it's own. 

What I would suggest is that if you are 100% okay with the risks with it and are well informed of possible consequences, then get your membranes swept. Only if you are completely confident, though. I would personally not do it, but we are two different people. If it doesn't work and your doctor decides to induce, request an NST and ultrasound to check on the placenta. If things look healthy, I would turn down the induction. 

Whatever you decide, just remember that you are in charge and you call the shots. Your doctor legally has to sit down and give you all the risks/benefits to anything she suggests and then you get to decide what you would like to do. Happy birthing, mama! 

Quoting mandy1017:

I am 39+  weeks... my due date is the 16th :) and this is my 3rd child ( with my first 2 i was induced at 37 weeks due to high bp/low fluid (with my 2nd) and i developed pre e with my 1st) So far this pregnancy me and baby are both healthy, no issues at all. She said with my passed she doesnt want me going passed 41 weeks. Ill be 40 weeks on saturday(16th).

She didnt really explain the risks and that, she just said she can do it since I was going to be over 39 weeks. I figured she would of told me the risks before she did it. But she isn't pushing for it, she did say it was up to me.  

Quoting Pandapanda:

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

May I ask why you guys are inducing? Are you or baby having complications? 

HERE is info with studies on the benefit and risks of membrane stretching/sweeping/stripping/scratching. 

KimmisMom
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM
With my first she stripped mine at 39 weeks. It hurt but just like a normal exam does when they shove their hand up there lol. I went into labor the next day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

For what it is worth, I did end up with PROM's (premature rupture of membranes) from a sweep. It caused a fifty-six hour labor and I ended up incredibly close to having a preventable c-section. If I were to have a medical need of inducing, this ranks up there with my top three ways I would NOT induce! It is up there with castor oil and breaking of water for the risk and types of complications it brings. If I did have a medical need to induce (I read your reply above and it seems you do not), I would consent to using a breast pump to stimulate contractions, alternated with walking and using pressure points, will sitting on a yoga ball. If that did not do work after several hours to produce consistent contractions and it was imperative baby is birthed in a more timely manner, I would consent to a very, very low dose of Pitocin. Once contractions became regular, I would have them turn it off completely, to let my body take over. That is where a lot of problems happen, they don't turn off the Pit. 

HERE is more info on induction

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM

No I won't do it, too risky-
 Do you want it done?

Quoting mandy1017:

Does it hurt and what exactly does it mean? My OB said she can do this for me on Tuesday! She said between 24-48 hours after she does this, I should be in labor! If not, then it looks like we set a date for induction :/

It hurts for many, varies on a provider's technique.
Separating the cervix from the amniotic sac.
It could be done at any time, but the main consideration is why?
It could be a day or two, or not work.    Either way, we can have to deal with issues that can arise from it.
Why do you want to induce?

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM

To not explain the risks isn't fair, really.   If you want to add unnecessary risks to yourself & your baby then you should be able to choose it ("Informed Consent").     But telling you she doesn't want you to pass 41 weeks is also unfair.    It is normal to pass, it's still well within the average range.

If you and baby have no issues (now, in the past. or in the future) each intervention (stripping, other induction methods) will be adding unnecessary risks.   Which are safest to avoid.

It's pretty simple to avoid unnecessary interventions--  only consent to intervene when there is a true need.    Things like vaginal exams, etc., are really healthful to avoid.  

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."     Your body knows what it needs to do and when, have faith~   ;-)
  ---Interventions are more likely to create problems where there were none.

I hope you can have a happy *and* health experience!
:-)

GL!

Quoting mandy1017:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured