Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Second Opinion?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 4 Replies
I feel like my current midwife isn't listening to me. She has been pretty much great but I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion. I think she has completely messed up my due date.

I had my IUD removed in May and two days later started what was a regular period. It lasted the normal amount and was only slightly heavier than I'm used to. At the end of June I had a very light period that was only a couple days and super light. When I had my IUD removed they told me it may take a couple months to even out my hormones so I didnt think anything about it. At the end of July there was nothing, I took a pregnancy test at the beginning of August and it lit up. My current midwife insists that my last period was in June, that I'm due April 4th and am only 33 weeks. We never did an early sono.

Throughout my pregnancy I've noticed that a lot of things are moving a couple of weeks faster than the April due date (moving out of my normal clothes early, early on set nausea, feeling the baby move early) but I wrote it all off at the time. But when I did my sonogram at 19w3d the sonographer dated me at 21w6d. I felt like maybe we should reevaluate but she says as long as I make it to March 7th I will be fine. Otherwise I will need to go to a hospital.

Wednesday night I went into the hospital because I had 6 contractions in an hour. They gave me two IVs of fluid and the contractions slowed down but didnt stop. I've been on bedrest since and they gave me some medicine but I'm stil having some contractions. I'm at 3cm (not a big deal because it's my third baby) and 60% effaced. But I'm still four weeks out and I'm really afraid this baby is about ready to come.

Either way its a little too early for the baby but I'm worried about having to make that March 7th. If the baby is healthy and ready to come I don't want to stop him. But I definitely don't want him to come too early. I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion just so I can know if I'm crazy (which I'm not) or if she is wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
orangeshirt
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Wasn't the anatomy scan sufficient as a "second opinion"?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
awelch
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM
She says they aren't accurate. She wants to wait 3 weeks where based on the sono I could safely have the baby by next week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kierasmommy
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM
It sounds like you have some doubts and expecting mommy/provider relationship is not a relationship that should tolerate doubts. If for no other reason, it can actually be considered an emotional intervention because you aren't relaxed and trusting. When in doubt, keep asking! It sounds like it might be important to get a second opinion in this situation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM

 if you have doubts, then it never hurts to get a second opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)