Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Epidurals?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 51 Replies

Did you or didn't you?

Why or why not?

How was your overall experience?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amy31308
by Ashlee on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Yes. I didn't want pain. Two good experiences. Little sore afterwards. But I'll be getting another again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amy31308
by Ashlee on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Yes. I didn't want pain. Two good experiences. Little sore afterwards. But I'll be getting another again.
cnlsmommy
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Did you or didn't you? Yes with dd1, do NOT plan on it this time

Why or why not? I went in with dd1 with a thought against it, but not dead set on natural birth. I ended up with pitocin and couldn't handle the pain anymore. While I was semi out of it from pain and not sleeping I asked for something and they said they would do an epidural, no other options even offered (yes, I knew other ones existed, but was not totally lucid at that point).

How was your overall experience? Horrible! I had a "wet tap" meaning they missed the epidural space and gave me a spinal. They didn't realize this until after they administered the first drugs which proceeded to immediately bottom out my bp and knock me unconscious. I awoke to being administered emergency meds while throwing up with nurses and doctors everywhere! I was totally numb from my just below my rib cage down plus lightly numb from my shoulders down. As you can imagine that made for a rough delivery that had to be helped by forceps. In addition to all this I had a spinal headache for about a week where if I stood up I had excruciating head and backaches. And due to the forceps and rough delivery I had 4th degree tears and extended healing time.
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't.

Because there are many safer options, it's too unnecessarily risky.

I have had good & bad, but fortunately I have learned a lot along the way how to have a safe and enjoyable experience--
    Why be in pain *and* add unnecessary risks??

;-)

cnlsmommy
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Wanted to add that I know most epidurals go just fine and I do not judge anyone who gets them. I do plan to use other meds if need be (like Nubian), but I'm hoping to spend most of my time in labor at home "relaxing" in my normal environment to aide in a more natural, healthy (for me) birth.
Terpsichore
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Yes.

Maternal exhaustion and preeclampsia. 

Slept (finally) while they slowly increased the pitocin. Managed to avoid a c-section, had enough feeling to have the uncontrollable urge to push for two hours, but was hard doing it on my back.

SamanthaSage
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I did and the numbness was amazing. The epidural itself didn't hurt and I didn't feel a thing after. Ended up needing a c-section, but I had very little pain through the whole thing. In the beginning I wasn't set on with or without. I'm just a see how it goes sort of person. If I didn't need it, no big deal and if I did then that's fine too.
mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM
No I didn't get one with all 3 of my kids.....why? because i figured i will take the pain of labor and birth over lifetime side effect the epidural can cause...there are other way to manage the pain.....the births were pretty easy just the contractions were the worst exp my longest labor my second son and i had pitocin but i delt with it....and after giving birth to all 3 i wasnt in any pain just a lil sore down there...my boys were over 8lbs and my daughter was 7lbs.....if i had to give birth again i would still not get a epidural (dh is snipped so that should never happen)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I also herd that mothers produce there own "pain medicine" and when ur body releases it your baby also gets it.....BUT when u get a epidural it blocks that and your baby doesnt get the "med" your body naturally releases and your baby is in pain during delievery....not shure on how true this is....found this out after having all my kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM
No.

Too many risks, some long term, for both baby and me.

Three all natural labor and deliveries and I am planning a fourth this June. Overall experience has been great!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN