Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some nighttime breastfeeding tips!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM
  • 23 Replies
Baby just turned a week old. When I try to feed at night he drinks enough to settle his tummy, but I know he isn't full. The usual tricks to wake him so he'll keep sucking don't work, and I am worried that my supply will dwindle. I could pump during the night, but I am having a tough enough time staying awake while he's eating. Tips?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatieGirls2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Sip on ice water while you are feeding, that always helped me, or leaving my socks off so my feet were cold....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Just let him sleep :)

He will wake to nurse when he's hungry. My youngest is 2 weeks, and will nurse every 2-6 hours through the night. My supply has not suffered.

JadeTigr7
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I let my kids nurse on demand at all times, even at night.  I've never had supply issues (I have four kids).

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Just nurse on demand! It will all work itself out. :)

FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM
He wakes up hungry, but only sucks for a few minutes. I put him back in the bassinet and he cries five minutes later. It seems like he's attached all night long.

Quoting Randi02:

He will wake to nurse when he's hungry. My youngest is 2 weeks, and will nurse every 2-6 hours through the night. My supply has not suffered.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

That can be pretty normal. We bed share, so they stay asleep longer and can nurse on demand.

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

He wakes up hungry, but only sucks for a few minutes. I put him back in the bassinet and he cries five minutes later. It seems like he's attached all night long.

Quoting Randi02:

bebe_ju-rah
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
That's normal behavior, sorry momma!
amc103
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Hve you tried posting this in the BF group on here? I always get good advice from them about breastfeeding. :-) I wish I could be more help, but here is a bump!

SarahMommie
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM
2 moms liked this
It sounds pretty typical to me. My girls always did that I the beginning I found starting a bed time routine and holding off feeding until after bath and then after that session you should get 2-3 hours. Around 2-4 weeks they start to fall into a routine and you can try to influence a little by making that bedtime routine:-) I always on demand fed and my milk never went down good luck and hang in there!! Nursing gets much better after the first few months!!!
butterflycircle
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM

do you change his diaper right before you feed him:? If I wanted my son to wake up I would have to start undressing him, he would wake up right away lol. 

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

Quoting Randi02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured