Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Need help getting ready!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Was your delivery more painful or longer than you anticipated?

Options:

Yes, I had no idea how rough it would be.

No, I thought it would be much harder.

Yes, but only by a little bit.

No, but only by a little bit.

I pretty much got exactly what I expected.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

Hi everybody, I'm 32 weeks as of today and my doctor says I can deliver anywhere from now to my due date, so I'm starting to get really nervous. I didn't realize it could be this soon!

What was labor like for those of you who have been there already? How did you know it was the real thing and not BH? I'd love to hear everybody's stories, even the scary ones haha. I want to be prepared for the worst case scenarios too.

What about the hospital bag?

I just packed today but want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. I'm bringing two pairs of pjs for me, two outfits for me, 2 outfits for baby plus booties and a blanket, makeup and makeup remover, a comb and some hair ties, the baby book, a phone charger, my glasses, some wipes, some nursing pads, some panty liners, tons of socks, a book, the birth plan, toothbrush/toothpaste, conditioner(I'll use their shampoo) and hand lotion. Anybody think I'm missing anything?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Unless you have a history of preterm labor, there's no way you're going to go into labor before 36+ weeks. If this is your first, you'll more than likely go past your estimated due date. 

As for packing.. only pack what you would take for a weekend stay at a friend's house + 2-3 pairs of pajamas for the baby. Take lots of extra underwear. Thge hospital will provide some, but they never fit me right. Make sure these are underwear you don't care about.. at all. 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I have had 2 babies. My first labor was 14 hours and second was induced and 16 hours. I did both without an epidural. It was very hard and painful, but totally worth it. 

I knew without a doubt that I was in labor real contractions and braxton hicks feel totally different to me. 

My biggest advice, stop worrying about everything. Stop trying to figure out what it's going to feel like and just keep yourself busy and distracted with other things. Read some books so you know what to expect and educated yourself as much as you can but don't try to plan or control the actual process of labor. 

Some book suggestions Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and what to expect when you are expecting (especially the end of pregnancy and labor section.

Also, here is a link to my blog with my birth stories and packing list if you want to read them. http://babyinsideandout.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-birth-aimee-story-of-my-labor.html

mommylizTB2809
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Its wasn't painful at all, but I but I was in labor for 11 1/2 hours. I had have a c-seation
AthenaGrace
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I have had 2 babies. My first labor was 14 hours and second was induced and 16 hours. I did both without an epidural. It was very hard and painful, but totally worth it. 

I knew without a doubt that I was in labor real contractions and braxton hicks feel totally different to me. 

My biggest advice, stop worrying about everything. Stop trying to figure out what it's going to feel like and just keep yourself busy and distracted with other things. Read some books so you know what to expect and educated yourself as much as you can but don't try to plan or control the actual process of labor. 

Some book suggestions Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and what to expect when you are expecting (especially the end of pregnancy and labor section.

Also, here is a link to my blog with my birth stories and packing list if you want to read them. http://babyinsideandout.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-birth-aimee-story-of-my-labor.html

Wow, 14-16 hours and no epidural? You are my hero haha. Thanks :)

mommylizTB2809
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM
That sounds about right. But should pack 3 put its. Because if you have a c-seation you will be there for 3 days. But if you Google what to pack hings will come up. Because when I had my daughter I didn't know what to pack so I Googler it. Google luck:-)
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Aww, thanks!

Quoting AthenaGrace:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Wow, 14-16 hours and no epidural? You are my hero haha. Thanks :)

brittany208
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I didn't go into labor on my own. I was one week overdue when dr said I should be induced. So I dont know what that's like.... hoping to find out this time.

My labor was actually really easy. I was technically in labor when I got to the hospital to be induced, but I didn't even know until they hooked me up to the monitors. I had pitocin. I remember thinking the contractions werent worse than menstrual cramps, and in between I was fine. DH was more freaked out than I was, lol. Every contraction, he'd say "take the epidural!" lol. it got a little annoying. I did take nubain which put me to sleep for two hours.

When i woke up, they said "do you feel like pushing?" I said, "no, I feel like taking a nap!"

I was induced at 830, gave birth at 730. 45 min of that was pushing, which i dont remember hurting AT ALL. i was FOCUSED. i had an episiotomy.

my advice about packing is you probably dont need the baby book AT the hospital. don't forget the camera!! with extra/charged batteries. skip the panty liners and go straight for maxi pads or depends even! its a LOT of blood afterwards! like 9 months of periods all at once....

at the hospital they gave me a little squirt bottle to squirt myself when i went pee so it didnt sting--that helped a lot. and pads with ice packs built in. dont know if these things are standard, but they were pretty awesome.

hplesha
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Pack an outfit that's preemie size. Both my kids were small enough that they had to wear preemie clothes for the first few weeks.

My water never broke with either of my kids. I was dialated to 3cm for two weeks before i went into labor.

My second one was induced.

You will know the difference between the real contractions and bh. Bh for me was one long contraction that made my belly hard. Sometimes it would last an hour. When i had contractions, they left me out of breath and were coming and going pretty quick. To the point where i couldn't stand or sit and would just cry lol. That's how my bf at the time made me go to the hospital with my first. I was dialated to 5cm and was having my bloody show by the time i got there.

Also, when walking just isn't an option anymore lol. When i was induced with my second, i would walk around the halls in the hospital. I was dialated to about 4 by the time the Dr broke my water. I went for another walk and i couldn't even make it around once. My steps were to little, you would think i was a turtle lol.

I also started pushing at 6-7cms with both and tore my cervix.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rachelrothchild
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I had back labor (holy awful), but my labor was about 14 1/2 hours, which is about average.  I had a homebirth too.  My water broke and then I had consistent contractions.

hplesha
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I had nubain with my second. I was induced with him and i had gotten the cervidil. I made them take it out after 2 hours because i was literally contracting two on top of two. At least that's what it felt like! They gave me nubain to help me not feel anything. I wish i stuck with just that stuff and not even bothered with the epidural. That stuff is awesome!

Quoting brittany208:

I didn't go into labor on my own. I was one week overdue when dr said I should be induced. So I dont know what that's like.... hoping to find out this time.

My labor was actually really easy. I was technically in labor when I got to the hospital to be induced, but I didn't even know until they hooked me up to the monitors. I had pitocin. I remember thinking the contractions werent worse than menstrual cramps, and in between I was fine. DH was more freaked out than I was, lol. Every contraction, he'd say "take the epidural!" lol. it got a little annoying. I did take nubain which put me to sleep for two hours.

When i woke up, they said "do you feel like pushing?" I said, "no, I feel like taking a nap!"

I was induced at 830, gave birth at 730. 45 min of that was pushing, which i dont remember hurting AT ALL. i was FOCUSED. i had an episiotomy.

my advice about packing is you probably dont need the baby book AT the hospital. don't forget the camera!! with extra/charged batteries. skip the panty liners and go straight for maxi pads or depends even! its a LOT of blood afterwards! like 9 months of periods all at once....

at the hospital they gave me a little squirt bottle to squirt myself when i went pee so it didnt sting--that helped a lot. and pads with ice packs built in. dont know if these things are standard, but they were pretty awesome.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)