Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

holistic birthing center vs. hospital

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
What is the difference. I will be birthing at a holistic birthing center because i want a water birth and thats where the tubs are at my hospital.but what of the difference. They have a normal labor and delivery and then am attached holostic birthing center. Does that mean am epidural will not be available if.im not yransferred to normal labor and delivery. Im assumimg so since a detached birthing center cant give you a epidural.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM

No, they do not offer drugs/medications for pain management. They are experts in alternative coping methods and pain relief techniques, though! Who needs an epidural when you have experts in Normal, Healthy, Natural birth to guide you through labor? ;)

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I couldn't say it better, myself! : )

Quoting Pandapanda:

No, they do not offer drugs/medications for pain management. They are experts in alternative coping methods and pain relief techniques, though! Who needs an epidural when you have experts in Normal, Healthy, Natural birth to guide you through labor? ;)

ImNotKarl
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

The birthing center doesn't offer medicinal pain relief, and they usually offer midwife and doula services as opposed to an OB, though some OBs also work with birthing centers. If you transfer, you can get the epi in normal L&D if you get there in time for it, but the birth center won't do it.

I had my first son at a birth center, and am planning on having this baby there as well, with the same group of amazing midwives. Natural childbirth is a great option, if you're open to it.

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM
I am obviously planning natural since im doing a waterbirth but for some reason im scared of not having the option for the epidural. I had it with my last two even when o was set on a natural birth BUT the hoapital kind of pushed it and definitely made it easier to give in.

Mine.is connected to the hospital so that easesy mind a little . But im very nervous
KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Sorry for the typos i got a new phone and this keyboard sucks
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM

It's probably a "freestanding birth center" meaning not attached-affiliated with a hospital.     It's more likely to provider better-safer care and safer outcomes.    A hospital is a a place for sick people overall and with labor ( a non-sick event) moms can avoid the unnecessary risks with the standard interventions, etc.
You don't need an epidural and at these type of places you are able to utilize alternative coping strategies.

;-)

Mail Myself to You
KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Mine is thriugh and connected to the hospital, i wonder if it will be a little more medical oriented since it is connected. Hmmm

Quoting doulala:

It's probably a "freestanding birth center" meaning not attached-affiliated with a hospital.     It's more likely to provider better-safer care and safer outcomes.    A hospital is a a place for sick people overall and with labor ( a non-sick event) moms can avoid the unnecessary risks with the standard interventions, etc.
You don't need an epidural and at these type of places you are able to utilize alternative coping strategies.

;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)