Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How much to spend on car seats....

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 25 Replies

When I had my twins the hospital I had them at sold me mine since the ones I had were to big for them (born premature) My dad actually bought them I think he paid 25 for each (yes they were brand new).

I have nothing from my twins 5 years ago and since we didn't find out what the baby is I am looking at seats with browns or greens or red etc. Anyhow I seen one that was $61 at Target and when I checked Kohls it was $90!

I seen a travel system that was $100 (car seat, stroller). So my question is do I buy the cheaper seat? It obviously doesn't mean the quality is any less. I may not even buy it since MIL told me wait for the shower lol and FIL kept telling us yesterday to wait we might get one lol so I don't want to get one yet. I am so confused I can't make up my mind! Also with the baby being due in May I think I should get the travel system....UGGGHHHHH! What are you ladies getting?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I buy whatevers cheapest. I dont wanna spend a lot on carseats. Dds caraeat was 45, or 50. Not sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Yeah I seen another nice one that was like $54 I like too. I don't want to spend a lot since we may end up needing to buy other stuff we may not get at the shower which I wouldn't be mad in fact I would rather us pick out the big stuff and ask people so only buy the little stuff like clothes, blankets, wipes, diapers lol

Quoting mama-smurf:

I buy whatevers cheapest. I dont wanna spend a lot on carseats. Dds caraeat was 45, or 50. Not sure.

Randi02
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO, you get what you pay for.

We skip infant seats, and I buy convertible seats with added safety and convenience features. Sure, they all have to meet the same basic safety standards - but I prefer companies who go above and beyond. A convertible seat is something you will need anyway later on, so it makes sense to invest in one now and use that from birth.

jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I was checking those out too! I have thought about the fact I will need it later on anyhow but I also like the infant carrier becuase I have two other kids and when we go grocery shopping I would like to just have the baby in the car seat not the cold hard ones they have attatched to the carts!

I would rather buy a infant seat and stroller now since I also do a lot in the summer with my twins like going to the park, playground, walks etc.

But that is just what I mean buy getting what you pay for one car seat is at one place for $61 the other $90 at the other place so should I pay more for the same thing it doesn't change the quality right?

Quoting Randi02:

IMO, you get what you pay for.

We skip infant seats, and I buy convertible seats with added safety and convenience features. Sure, they all have to meet the same basic safety standards - but I prefer companies who go above and beyond. A convertible seat is something you will need anyway later on, so it makes sense to invest in one now and use that from birth.

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM
A lot of the time, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to carseats. There are some exceptions. (More expensive ones that are NOT worth it).

Just a rundown of what I remember of good infant seats.

Low budget-
Evenflo Embrace 35
Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite

Midrange-
Safety 1st Onboard 35
Graco Snugride 30 or 35 (not the 22, though)

Higher priced
Chicco Keyfit 30
Cybex Aton
Graco Click Connect 40

The higher priced ones are worth the extra money, if you have it, IMO.
There are plenty of lower priced ones that aren't even worth what you pay for them. They don't fit most newborns properly, and if you have a big baby that does fit as a newborn, it's outgrown by 4 to 6 months.
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I was looking at evenflo and costco ones. They all say saftey first but I also can see just from pictures and going to browse how cheap some are and of course I want my baby safe but I can't afford $1000 car seat play pen or stroller lol I was trying to stay in the 75 to 100 dollar range! I was just looking at less than that becaues I seen the same two seats priced very differently at two different places!

Quoting tyrelsmom:

A lot of the time, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to carseats. There are some exceptions. (More expensive ones that are NOT worth it).

Just a rundown of what I remember of good infant seats.

Low budget-
Evenflo Embrace 35
Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite

Midrange-
Safety 1st Onboard 35
Graco Snugride 30 or 35 (not the 22, though)

Higher priced
Chicco Keyfit 30
Cybex Aton
Graco Click Connect 40

The higher priced ones are worth the extra money, if you have it, IMO.
There are plenty of lower priced ones that aren't even worth what you pay for them. They don't fit most newborns properly, and if you have a big baby that does fit as a newborn, it's outgrown by 4 to 6 months.

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Car seats are one of the things that we don't mind splurging on, because the one you get really does matter. Once they get into bigger seats there are some safe options that are not very expensive, we got our five year olds carseat for $50, unfortunately, looking at the safety ratings, it is the more expensive infant seats that are usually also the safer ones. We wanted to get the evenflo discovery, which is $40, but looked at the ratings and comments and found out it had a ton of flaws that were very dangerous. We ended up getting and evenflo embarce, which has very high safety ratings, but was $70. What careseat is the travel system?

EvasMommy326
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM
I purchased my daughter's Graco car seat from Babies R Us for about 250.00. It's a 3 in 1 which means it will pay for itself over the years.
angevil53
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I buy a cheaper carrier bc i only use it until the baby can sit up then switch to a nicer convertible car seat. I spend much more on that though. I have dds carrier i will probably use. She was born nov 2001 so the seat isn't expired yet. I will invest in a nice convertible car seat when baby is 4-5 mo or when he can sit up.
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Well I think I am just going to wait my inlaws have waited a very long time to have their first grnadchild so to my mil and fil they are excited to shop for baby stuff not to mention I will have a shower and my dad will be buy something too for baby. My SO Nana bought her first grandchild a nice expensive seat and even thought this is her first great grand baby I don't expect her too even though she said she don't mind. I guess I just wanted to pick I am picky about look and what I want and I am willing to spend money on the car seat because saftey is important to me for sure! Thanks! My twins are 5 too and MIL an FIL bought them boosters that were I think $ 40

Quoting LucyHarper:

Car seats are one of the things that we don't mind splurging on, because the one you get really does matter. Once they get into bigger seats there are some safe options that are not very expensive, we got our five year olds carseat for $50, unfortunately, looking at the safety ratings, it is the more expensive infant seats that are usually also the safer ones. We wanted to get the evenflo discovery, which is $40, but looked at the ratings and comments and found out it had a ton of flaws that were very dangerous. We ended up getting and evenflo embarce, which has very high safety ratings, but was $70. What careseat is the travel system?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)