Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

This might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways… *** little more***

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 15 Replies
There are so many choices when it comes to giving birth... How your going to deliver, where, with who when all that good stuff. I know that if you can natural is the eat way to go but I have heard that some women ask to have c-sections and with out legit medical reasoning doctors will say yes??? Is this true? If anyone on here has asked for one and got one why was it that you did it?

*** I have had 2 c-sections neither were by choice. While in labor my cervix would not open and the babies did not drop. My first born was born with no heart beat but luckily they were able to bring her back and she is now 5 and my second almost met the same fate but due to being high risk she was looked at weekly monitored for hours on end and I was on bed rest and now she is 2!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

There are providers who will make up a reason for a woman to have an elective c-section. It is actually fraud to do so and unethical, if her insurance company is unwilling to cover an elective surgery. 

zinniadaisy
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Yes, it's called en elected c section - some women chose this for a host of different reasons, sometimes for pain old convenience, so yeah...

I have not asked for one nor had one but I have a cousin who has had four b/c she liked the whole c section experience...go figure

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Doctors that do unecessary c-sections are becoming more and more rare, thankfully. It's a major liability for the doctors and many insurance companies are starting to refuse payment for elective cesareans. 

heartagram_girl
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont want a c section- and my doc doesnt believe in them unless 100% life and death situation. She agrees that a c section or induced labor for sake of convenience is wrong and medically risky. As she puts it, "Baby leads the way." and "Baby sets the time frame." She says that a c section has a lot more risks than a vaginal birth- stitches, infection, tearing of incision during subsequent delivery, etc.

The only reason I would even want a c section is if there is a danger to me or my son that makes a regular vaginal birth too risky to try. And even then, I would want it to be a last resort.

CafeMom Tickers
nicole2884
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM

my best friend choose to have one, there was no medical reason, she had tons of anxiety about natural birth , which she normally takes anxiety meds so i guess that was a medical reason

i always joke that if the baby was as big as i was as at birth i would opt for a c-section i was 10 pound baby

lillucky8
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Ive never asked for one. Sorry. Heres a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM
http://m.cafemom.com/groups/read_topic.php?group_id=299&topic_id=18030369

Sorry I can't make it a clicky, but I just had a repeat c section. Take a read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparklebug86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM

really? From my research the rate is going up. Its especially high in California. They also occur when a labor is not progressing fast enough. 

Quoting Pandapanda:

Doctors that do unecessary c-sections are becoming more and more rare, thankfully. It's a major liability for the doctors and many insurance companies are starting to refuse payment for elective cesareans. 

CafeMom Tickers

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM

In this context, I meant elective first-time cesareans. I live in Northern California where there is a big push (no pun intended) against cesareans.. period. There are a few doctors in my area who will refuse a repeat cesarean if the mother is a VBAC candidate. 

Quoting sparklebug86:

really? From my research the rate is going up. Its especially high in California. They also occur when a labor is not progressing fast enough. 

Quoting Pandapanda:

brittany208
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Drs aren't supposed to give you a C-section you dont need... but what you "need" is kind of a matter of opinion. Some drs are willing to try harder to make sure you have a vaginal birth, while others are more likely to give up quickly and go for the C-section.

Many drs also like induce you for reasons that you really dont NEED to be induced for--which increases your risk of a C-section.

If you don't want to have a C-section, find a good dr or midwife who has similar views as yours and who is willing to try everything possible, if needed, for you to deliver vaginally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)