Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Need help deciding

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

i am new to this forum and hoping to get some feedback.

we are finally pregnant, 37 yo, and trying to figure out whether or not to do the amnio. hard time getting to this phase, so finally here, and now the options are: risk of miscarriage or risk of baby born with problems.

what are others doing and why

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
busymommabear
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I'm also 37 but I'm not getting it done. Whatever happens I will love this baby regardless. I'm just not willing to take the risk. 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I wouldn't do it. The amnio isn't your only chance to find out if there are any birth defects or DS. At your 20 week anatomy scan (ultrasound where they check development, organs, etc) they will be able to tell if your baby has any signs of developmental issues without the risks that the amnio bring. 

butrflyekises
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I'm not in your boat but I have heard story's of people Testing posative for DS and the test being wrong... I don't know if it was me I dont think I'd test
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamathrugc
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM

thank you ladies. so far 0-3 for testing. yet the docs say it's a normal procedure. argh. what to do what to do

lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM
First, welcome to the group! ANd congrats!

Second, you can have the first trimester screening and ultrasound first cant you? And if they detect any issues then discuss the amnio?

The amnio scares me, but im also high risk when preg and have lost three babies. I guess if it were something i felt was needed to better my childs life id do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Also i guess you need to ask yourself. If the baby does have an illness or disability, does it matter to find out now or at birth? Will knowing now change anything?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I opted not to have the amnio when my u/s showed a soft marker for downs syndrome. I was sent to a high risk ob for a level 2 u/s and a blood test that checked for 3 of the trisomies, which came back negative. I couldn't have lived with myself if I had miscarried whether baby had downs or not. To me it isn't worth the risk. I also am 37, and baby is a weeks old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamathrugc
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

thank you ladies. thats the thing...we would not carry to term....as hard as it sounds, we don't believe it will be fair for the child. no matter how much we want a child, and i have had multiple m/c over the years so i REALLY want this child, it is just not fair to anyone if the child is born with downs.. 

Journeysmama11
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You are FINALLY pregnant and you would really care if the baby has problems? You have been blessed. No matter what.

Journeysmama11
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Quoting butrflyekises:

I'm not in your boat but I have heard story's of people Testing posative for DS and the test being wrong... I don't know if it was me I dont think I'd test

I know people that have tested positive and their babies turned out just fine too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)