Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

prenatal Gestational Diabetes test...THOUGHTS

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 19 Replies

Gestational Diabetes test what are your thoughts on the test.

are you for the test? why?

are you against the test? why?

if you had the test what type of medium did they use (jelly beans, after a meal, glucose syrup)?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I am very against this test. Why overdose yourself on sugar and hope/pray that your body can flush it out in a specific timeframe? 

If you must do the test, demand that you be given a glucometer and testing strips. Test your blood sugar eveyr morning and after every meal for a week and evaluate your numbers at the end of the week. This is a much safer, more accurate way to get a diagnosis. 

JadeTigr7
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

What Amber said, and is how my midwife does it.

Quoting Pandapanda:

I am very against this test. Why overdose yourself on sugar and hope/pray that your body can flush it out in a specific timeframe? 

If you must do the test, demand that you be given a glucometer and testing strips. Test your blood sugar eveyr morning and after every meal for a week and evaluate your numbers at the end of the week. This is a much safer, more accurate way to get a diagnosis. 

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I didn't do it. I watch my sugar intake while pregnant already so The test wasnt needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I choose not to. The advice for women with GD is the same for women without it: eat healthy, exercise, get enough sleep, all that.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I decline the test. It is not a part of evidence-based care to do routine glucose tests on pregnant women. Even the American Diabetes Association says a fasting A1C (which can happen in the morning first thing and is a quick blood draw) is more accurate at determining how your body is reacting to the diet you eat, than the one hour or three hour glucose test. Also, each doctor's office sets its own standard for who has GD, which is not very scientific. It's not like cancer- you have it or you don't and you can test for it, you can replicate the test results multiple times. You cannot with GD! Also, the study used that indicated this was an ailment, was incredibly biased and had horribly sloppy methodology. HERE is a lot more info on GD and the glucose test! : ) 

krodden87
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I took the 1 hour test with the glucose syrup and tested way high so i had to go back in and do the 3 hour test and was the diagnosed with gestational diabetes and now have a glucometer and have to test 7 times a day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
baby7810
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

# 1 its not just sugar intake, its ALL carbs!!!!! thats what makes your blood sugar go up 

Quoting nocalmegan:

I didn't do it. I watch my sugar intake while pregnant already so The test wasnt needed.

baby7810
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM

i did it cause it runs in my family. turns out i am borderline type 2 diabetic. if i never took it i would have had a HUGE baby

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Seven?  

That's really high.  

The norm is 4.  Fasting and after each meal.  

When do you test? 

Quoting krodden87:

I took the 1 hour test with the glucose syrup and tested way high so i had to go back in and do the 3 hour test and was the diagnosed with gestational diabetes and now have a glucometer and have to test 7 times a day.

wkukid
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I'm having mine tomorrow. I'm using the syrup. Diabetes runs in my family so I didn't have a problem agreeing to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)