Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Baby with Acid Reflux...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

My newborn baby girl was diagnosed with Acid Reflux. They put her on a Zantac perscription that she takes every 12 hours but she still seems to dry heave a lot. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

It does seem to bother her, she cries most of the time after she dry heaves. =( She will be 4 weeks old Thursday and has been on the medicine for about 2 weeks now.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding?

Jamie0121
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Ive had complications with breastfeeding due to my csection and pain. But I am pumping and giving her that along with formula. Since she was born I have not produced enough to exclusively breastfeed. She gets an ounce and a half of breastmilk and an ounce and a half of formula at each feeding. 

Quoting Pandapanda:

MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM

My son has really bad reflux but he isn't on anything for it, they say sometimes it does more harm than good because it doesn't actually stop the reflux, it just keeps it from burning.  I just keep him upright for 30 min to an hour after each feeding and keep his head proped up a little any time I lay him down.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM

The more you pump and try to nurse, the more milk you will get. I know it's a difficult and stressful balance- i've been there. But if you can ease her off of the formula a little at a time, that could make a huge difference. What formula is she on?

Also, she is being over-fed for a baby her age I do believe. The stomach capacity of a 6 week old baby is only 2.5oz!

Quoting Jamie0121:

Ive had complications with breastfeeding due to my csection and pain. But I am pumping and giving her that along with formula. Since she was born I have not produced enough to exclusively breastfeed. She gets an ounce and a half of breastmilk and an ounce and a half of formula at each feeding. 

Quoting Pandapanda:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
Jamie0121
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Does he dry heave and cry after he does it? My baby girl does and it breaks my heart. We keep her upright for 30 minutes after each feeding and I have the head of her bed elevated some. I just hate to hear her cry. =(

Quoting MMerrill:

My son has really bad reflux but he isn't on anything for it, they say sometimes it does more harm than good because it doesn't actually stop the reflux, it just keeps it from burning.  I just keep him upright for 30 min to an hour after each feeding and keep his head proped up a little any time I lay him down.

Randi02
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I agree. I have never bottle fed, bit that sounds like way too much for such a young baby.

I would bet its overfeeding, and maybe not so much reflux.

Quoting Pandapanda:

The more you pump and try to nurse, the more milk you will get. I know it's a difficult and stressful balance- i've been there. But if you can ease her off of the formula a little at a time, that could make a huge difference. What formula is she on?

Also, she is being over-fed for a baby her age I do believe. The stomach capacity of a 6 week old baby is only 2.5oz!

Quoting Jamie0121:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie0121
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM

She is on Similac Sensative. It seems like if I give her any less she screams and cries and sucks on her hands/anything she can put her mouth on.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Quoting Jamie0121:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM

That's very normal newborn behavior! Not only is she about to go through a growth spurt, but comfort sucking is very normal. If she were strictly breastfed (meaning latched on to the boob), she'd be nursing pretty much 24/7 for the next week or so. I would try giving her the 1.5oz of breast milk and then try rocking her to sleep or offering the breast or a pacifier. If she's still upset after a few minutes, then offer the formula. I think her issue is mainly being over-fed, though! 

Don't worry.. a lot of moms, both new and veteran, all make the mistake of thinking a baby sucking on fists/blankets all the time means that the baby is starving at some point. :) 

Quoting Jamie0121:

She is on Similac Sensative. It seems like if I give her any less she screams and cries and sucks on her hands/anything she can put her mouth on.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Quoting Jamie0121:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM

When he spits up and it comes out his nose it really upsets him, it's been getting better the older he gets though.  For a while I fed him smaller quantities, more often so he wasn't eating so much at once and then getting worse reflux.  He does still dry heave out of no where all the time and his gag reflex is really sensitive.  I also use the bulb syringe to suck anything out of his nose or the back of his mouth when I see him chomping on some reflux or something because it makes it hard for him to swallow and eat.

I hate it for him too, I know it stinks :(

Quoting Jamie0121:

Does he dry heave and cry after he does it? My baby girl does and it breaks my heart. We keep her upright for 30 minutes after each feeding and I have the head of her bed elevated some. I just hate to hear her cry. =(

Quoting MMerrill:

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Jamie0121
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I will give it a try. At this point I will try anything! She likes the pacifier but she has a high pallet so she pops it out of her mouth a lot. Any suggestions for this? Or should I just hold it for her until she seems content? Also How long should she be awake at a time? I feel like I sometimes miss the overtired signs.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Quoting Pandapanda:

That's very normal newborn behavior! Not only is she about to go through a growth spurt, but comfort sucking is very normal. If she were strictly breastfed (meaning latched on to the boob), she'd be nursing pretty much 24/7 for the next week or so. I would try giving her the 1.5oz of breast milk and then try rocking her to sleep or offering the breast or a pacifier. If she's still upset after a few minutes, then offer the formula. I think her issue is mainly being over-fed, though! 

Don't worry.. a lot of moms, both new and veteran, all make the mistake of thinking a baby sucking on fists/blankets all the time means that the baby is starving at some point. :) 

Quoting Jamie0121:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Quoting Jamie0121:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN