Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

i dont know what to expect?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM
  • 22 Replies
My second OBGYN appointment is tomorrow and im nervous...she said last time she is goimg to do an ultrasound but i am only 11 weeks and three days isn't that kind of early for an ultrasound? What do i expect?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Some OB's do them quite often. I doubt you have anything to worry about. Did you already have your pap and blood work? If not, then that's what they'll do. Otherwise it'll probably just be a routine appointment. See how you're doing and check the babys heartbeat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovemybaby551
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:16 PM
They did a pap and the blood work do they usually do another pap? I hate those....

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

Some OB's do them quite often. I doubt you have anything to worry about. Did you already have your pap and blood work? If not, then that's what they'll do. Otherwise it'll probably just be a routine appointment. See how you're doing and check the babys heartbeat.

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Nope just one in the beginning. Since you're still early she's probably doing the ultrasound to check baby's heartbeat. Since it probably wont pick up on a doppler yet. Good luck:)

Quoting Lovemybaby551:

They did a pap and the blood work do they usually do another pap? I hate those....

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM

some OBs do an early ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and get dates. they really aren't necessary, but most moms dont mind getting a peek at their LOs :)

it will probably be a very routine appt. Listen for baby's heartbeat, ask you how you are feeling, take your blood pressure etc etc. you won't need another pap since you already had one.

needanswers2012
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM
No. I wish I would have gotten one that early.
PEEK05
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It's not too early. :)

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Ultrasounds could be done at anytime or never.    Are you having complications or concerns, any reason for an ultrasound?
It's worth intervieing about any procedures before you consent so that you can decide (and research ahead of time) whether you want to consent to decline.   

I wouldn't do an ultrasound unless there was an indication, personally!

What to expect overall might be the usual checking BP and pulse, you might have urine tested, possibly palpated but it's early, go over what is going on and what to expect, the upcoming months and birthing plan, etc, lots to talk about-  bring your questions!    Are you consenting to the Doppler?
:-)

Lovemybaby551
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Lol this is my first pregnancy i have no idea what im doing....she said the ultrasound is to hear the babys heart beat but im worried its to early and i wont hear the heartbeat...what is the doppler? What kind of ultra sound will she be doimg this early?

Quoting doulala:

Ultrasounds could be done at anytime or never.    Are you having complications or concerns, any reason for an ultrasound?
It's worth intervieing about any procedures before you consent so that you can decide (and research ahead of time) whether you want to consent to decline.   

What to expect overall might be the usual checking BP and pulse, you might have urine tested, possibly palpated but it's early, go over what is going on and what to expect, the upcoming months and birthing plan, etc, lots to talk about-  bring your questions!    Are you consenting to the Doppler?

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM

The Doppler is the machine that some providers use to listen to the fetal heart beat from outside mom's belly.   It is several times stronger than an ultrasound so a lot of moms won't use it.    You don't need to heal or see anything yet--  you can if you like, but you might want to decide if it's worth the exposure or not.  

You can have a list of "interview" questions to find out the reasoning, risks and benefits, how much time you'll have to decide, if it's urgent or not, etc.    These questions will be very useful throughout the pregnancy because many interventions will be offered along the way, you'll want to know for yourself (not just what someone with a bias says) whether it's worth the risks or not.

;-)
GL!

Quoting Lovemybaby551:

Lol this is my first pregnancy i have no idea what im doing....she said the ultrasound is to hear the babys heart beat but im worried its to early and i wont hear the heartbeat...what is the doppler? What kind of ultra sound will she be doimg this early?

Quoting doulala:

Mail Myself to You
MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM

That's not too early :)  

Different doctors do them at differnt times, most wait until 9, 10, 11, 12 weeks, some do them around 5, 6, 7, etc.  It just depends.  Your first ultrasound will be transvaginal and fairly quick.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN