Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Could the ultrasound be wrong?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 36 Replies
I did the early gender determination ultrasound at 14 weeks and was told it was a boy. I have 2 other boys and was hoping for a girl. This pregnancy has been SO different than the others (nausea, exhaustion, hormonal) so I was certain it was a girl. Of course I will love my little nugget no matter what, just wondering if y'all think it could be wrong....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stressedmama24
by Toni on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Yes it can be wrong bc @ 14wks girl parts can be swollen and look like a pee-pee. At least that's what the Dr told me.
LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Usually if they say boy, its a boy regardless of gest age. Most mistakes happen when they say girl early. Ive had 2 ultrasounds in which theyve told me girl and Im eager for my next one in a few weeks to make sure lol. I want to be SURE its a girl bc we have ALL girl stuff

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM

At 14 weeks there is a good chance that it is wrong. 

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I wouldn't trust a 14 week u/s. Female genitalia is swollen and can be mistaken for a boy. GL
mem82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I agree with this. 14 wks is really early. Try to keep an open mind either way.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I wouldn't trust a 14 week u/s. Female genitalia is swollen and can be mistaken for a boy. GL

MichaelsMom0711
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

An ultrasound at any week can be wrong, but I have heard of moms on here being told boy at 13 or 14 weeks and it is right, I think usually the mistake is if they say girl early on. The u/s tech at my OB's office said 15 and 16 weeks is a perfect time to tell gender (I went to a 3D place the day I turned 15 weeks cuz I couldn't wait to see the gender and he is clearly a boy!) the tech at the 3d place explained how they tell the difference between a boy and if its swollen girl parts and why they don't use certain views and stuff. That was this place though and they have 99% accuracy at telling gender at 15 weeks and beyond, maybe if ur tech had a different machine or if the baby wasn't in the right position it could be wrong, but I think boys usually stay boys and it seems easier to tell with them! 3 boys would be so great though so congrats! I have 2, or will have 2 once this little guy gets here and I'm done cuz I know we both only want sons! :)

katie11908
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I was told boy at 13weeks exactly and sure enough he was a boy :) good luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
God_is_good961
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM

My first experience with an ultra-sound was something like this oh your having a Girl the whole entire time even right before I delivered it is a girl......... Well he is eleven years old and he is not a girl but he is my oldest son whom I love. 

So don't just buy boys clothes but buy a couple of girls too or wait longer but no matter what come up with two names.

alliesaurus
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It could be wrong...but it could be right. I know alot of people who have been told one gender and then on due day recieved another, but i know alot of mamas whose early gender result was correct. Its still a 50/50 lol. I would just hang in there until your 20 week anatomy scan for a second opinion. Genitalia doesn't complete development until 20 weeks so things could likely change in appearance. Did the image they got look convincing?

Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

parts aren't even fully developed at 14 weeks, so they should have never said anything about gender. Every pregnancy is different so it very well could still be a boy but never trust anything before 18-20 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)