Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could the ultrasound be wrong?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 36 Replies
I did the early gender determination ultrasound at 14 weeks and was told it was a boy. I have 2 other boys and was hoping for a girl. This pregnancy has been SO different than the others (nausea, exhaustion, hormonal) so I was certain it was a girl. Of course I will love my little nugget no matter what, just wondering if y'all think it could be wrong....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stressedmama24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Yes it can be wrong bc @ 14wks girl parts can be swollen and look like a pee-pee. At least that's what the Dr told me.
LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Usually if they say boy, its a boy regardless of gest age. Most mistakes happen when they say girl early. Ive had 2 ultrasounds in which theyve told me girl and Im eager for my next one in a few weeks to make sure lol. I want to be SURE its a girl bc we have ALL girl stuff

Pandapanda
by Amber on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM

At 14 weeks there is a good chance that it is wrong. 

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I wouldn't trust a 14 week u/s. Female genitalia is swollen and can be mistaken for a boy. GL
mem82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I agree with this. 14 wks is really early. Try to keep an open mind either way.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I wouldn't trust a 14 week u/s. Female genitalia is swollen and can be mistaken for a boy. GL

MichaelsMom0711
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

An ultrasound at any week can be wrong, but I have heard of moms on here being told boy at 13 or 14 weeks and it is right, I think usually the mistake is if they say girl early on. The u/s tech at my OB's office said 15 and 16 weeks is a perfect time to tell gender (I went to a 3D place the day I turned 15 weeks cuz I couldn't wait to see the gender and he is clearly a boy!) the tech at the 3d place explained how they tell the difference between a boy and if its swollen girl parts and why they don't use certain views and stuff. That was this place though and they have 99% accuracy at telling gender at 15 weeks and beyond, maybe if ur tech had a different machine or if the baby wasn't in the right position it could be wrong, but I think boys usually stay boys and it seems easier to tell with them! 3 boys would be so great though so congrats! I have 2, or will have 2 once this little guy gets here and I'm done cuz I know we both only want sons! :)

katie11908
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I was told boy at 13weeks exactly and sure enough he was a boy :) good luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
God_is_good961
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM

My first experience with an ultra-sound was something like this oh your having a Girl the whole entire time even right before I delivered it is a girl......... Well he is eleven years old and he is not a girl but he is my oldest son whom I love. 

So don't just buy boys clothes but buy a couple of girls too or wait longer but no matter what come up with two names.

alliesaurus
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It could be wrong...but it could be right. I know alot of people who have been told one gender and then on due day recieved another, but i know alot of mamas whose early gender result was correct. Its still a 50/50 lol. I would just hang in there until your 20 week anatomy scan for a second opinion. Genitalia doesn't complete development until 20 weeks so things could likely change in appearance. Did the image they got look convincing?

Larsbug
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

parts aren't even fully developed at 14 weeks, so they should have never said anything about gender. Every pregnancy is different so it very well could still be a boy but never trust anything before 18-20 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN