Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is there a time period after the birth when you are "safe" from PPD?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 5 Replies

I had horrible PPD with my first (not the "I'm afraid I might hurt my baby" kind, but the kind where I had a hard time emotinally connecting with her and I fantasized about running away..all the time).   I didn't take meds (like an idiot) and it easily took 18 months to get over it.  

This time, almost everything is different -- but I'm still afraid that monster will rear it's ugly head.  (I even did the placenta encapsulation and am taking those pills.) 

The baby is only 3 weeks old, so I know I"m not out of the woods yet -- but it makes me wonder, is there a time I can stop waiting for the other shoe to drop?  For PPD to show up again?  

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I always start getting symptoms around 6 weeks postpartum. :(

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Damn.  

I had it practically from birth with the first.  I figured it might be around 8 weeks or so, but wasn't sure if 6 months down the line it can hit you.  

Quoting Pandapanda:

I always start getting symptoms around 6 weeks postpartum. :(

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I don't know that there is a safe time. I have been really struggling with depression since my 16 month old was born. It got worse and worse as time went on. I finally starting taking meds a few months ago and it occurred to me that maybe I am dealing with PPD not just regular depression. Who knows though. I think you just have to keep an eye out for it. Get the help you need on a daily basis and get enough rest and take it one day at a time.

lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

vitamin d supplement and a good cod liver oil supplement, like nordic naturals will work wonders for this. Also you should still take a good prenatal vitamn. 

Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I had it from day with with DS1, and my doc immediately put me on zoloft and it helped I won't lie.  Quite honestly with DS2 I didn't get it as bad or as long (maybe from day 1 for a couple weeks) but I didn't take meds with him. I think it was worse with DS1 for a number of reasons but one of them was I was really young, he was my first, I was scared about finances, how to take care of him, etc, etc. The usual first time mom stuff...and with DS2 it seemed like more of a depression on adjusting to having 2 if that makes sense. I talked to my doctor and she was willing to give me meds if I wanted them but honestly just talking it out with someone helped for his.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)