Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ibuprofen in second trimester?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was at a midwife appt and i was telling her how hirrible my migraines have been. Ive been on tylenol, tylenol with codeine, and percocet and nothing works, so she told me since im 15 weeks and the baby is formed already i can take ibuprofen since its still safer than my migraine meds. I have never been told ibuprpfen is safe at any point, im sure she kbows her stuff but she isnt my regular midwife since it was an emergency appt. Anyone take ibuprofen while pregnant?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
TraceyMR
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

My mfm told me to take one dose to get rid of my migraine after I told her that three days of the safe crap did nothing to alleviate the pain. It worked, I was 23 weeks along and she said that one dose one time was not going tomhurt the baby. She also stressed to not take it after a certain number of weeks during gestation but I forget when. I have not needed it since then.

ilovemybaby711
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:42 AM
Ibuprofen is bad I'm 23 weeks and i have been having really bad headaches i told my doctor and she told to just take tylenol. I heard that they came out with Tylenol for Migranes.
mistync
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Ibprofin can be taken until the thiird trimester. After that it does something to the heart valves of the baby. Both of my obs would let me take it as a last resort because I'm allergic to tylanol. I aslo googled the hell out of it before I took it. Both of my dds are perfectly healthy with no heart defects or any other defects. The oldest is 5 and the baby is 3 weeks old.
MamaScho88
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I was told to never take ibuprofen...it has been linked to birth defects and low amniotic fluid levels

KVnC
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
I was just replying to ur post cuz u sounded like u didn't know but that's chill. I was telling u what most drs say but its ur choice. Bye.

Quoting KristinCarr:

Its not a "discomfort" my migraines keep me from taking care of my 3 year olds so i have to take something.

Quoting KVnC:

I been told by all the drs and ppl that nothing can be taken at all except tylonol and that we just have to deal with the horrible discomforts of pregnancy. I know it sux but its the safest and worth it

March12momma
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
You are fine, especially if only once or once in a great while. I accidentally took aleve and my midwife said that was fine. Do try coffee, or soda. And I swear if you drink a whole bottle of Gatorade it helps!!
Supermommyof423
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM
I was told not to take ibuprofen cuz there is something in it that messes with the baby. Ibuprofen is something i take regularly to. Tylenol is basically candy for me. Tylenol does nothing for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured