Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ibuprofen in second trimester?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was at a midwife appt and i was telling her how hirrible my migraines have been. Ive been on tylenol, tylenol with codeine, and percocet and nothing works, so she told me since im 15 weeks and the baby is formed already i can take ibuprofen since its still safer than my migraine meds. I have never been told ibuprpfen is safe at any point, im sure she kbows her stuff but she isnt my regular midwife since it was an emergency appt. Anyone take ibuprofen while pregnant?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
jogre
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Dr told me ibuprofen is a no no period. He told me to try tylenol with coke or tylenol with benadryl, tried the tylenol with the benadryl and the headache was gone. 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

You shouldn't take it at all.

beckyaj110
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I've always been told that ibuprofen is a big no no during all stages of pregnancy
Rayawni
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Absolutely not. Do not take it ever again. Causes premature closure of the PDA.
FinchsMommy
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I have chronic pain and inflammation disorder. My OB said I could take my Morton until I reached 24 weeks. Then he said the anti inflammatory would restrict the blood vessels of my baby and could reduce the amionics fluid. So at 24 weeks switched to Tylenol arthritis, which wasn't as effective, but it was what the doctor ordered.
angevil53
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM
My dr said hell no! It causes the lungs to stop receiving blood flow??
BethRae
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM
This

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

ive been told its a no no with all 3 of my pregnancies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I would NEVER take ibuprofen while pregnant, ever!

Emilytrademark
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Ibuprofin is a no-no all throughout pregnancy, per my research. My doctor too said it was OK after I reached my second trimester since I had bad headaches and Tylenol is a joke, but I still think it's unsafe to take.

BabyFruit Ticker
MsNeene
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
It is not safe in the third trimester. However the studies for the other two trimesters aren't reliable. Most of the studies include it combined with other meds. They said that it appears it has some side effects with the first trimester as well but it hasn't really been studied. As with any medicine your dr will outweigh the benefits with the risks. So having one dose every now and then may be safer than migraine meds daily so that might be why she told you to take it. Because if most of the proven risk is in the third trimester and you are in your second she figured that it might benefit you more than hurt you. Deciding a medication can be tough. I've been on and off several medicines this pregnancy. There are some risk but the benefit for me and my baby is worth the risk if that makes sense so my dr gas me take them. There are some that I couldn't start until a certain point and others I had to stop at a certain point. My best advice would be to talk with dr get their opinion then google the medicine taken during pregnancy and read 3 or 4 sites about it then decide what you think. That's what I always do and I've found success in that I've taken some meds and declined others based on the risk vs the benefits . Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured