Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doula

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 52 Replies

Would you hire a doula? I am going to attend a doula training session in October and hope to be practicing soon after. I was wondering if you are having a midwife?

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM

We did hire a doula.  We were with midwives but had to switch to OB care once I went past 42 weeks.  

orangeshirt
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I've doula'd before and would love to be able to afford one for this labor and birth, but we can't. I do, however, trust my midwife to be knowledgeable, hands-off, and supportive in whatever way I need.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
torttia
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM

How was your experiance with your midwife?

Quoting anxiousschk:

We did hire a doula.  We were with midwives but had to switch to OB care once I went past 42 weeks.  

torttia
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan to doula for free while I am trying to gain experience. I hope to be able to help young women who woyld otherwise not have a birth partner like teen mothers.

Quoting orangeshirt:

I've doula'd before and would love to be able to afford one for this labor and birth, but we can't. I do, however, trust my midwife to be knowledgeable, hands-off, and supportive in whatever way I need.

Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I did not, and don't plan to but I know many women who love having them.

123MomAmy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM
That's one of the sweetest things I've heard!

Quoting torttia:

I plan to doula for free while I am trying to gain experience. I hope to be able to help young women who woyld otherwise not have a birth partner like teen mothers.

Quoting orangeshirt:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
torttia
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I was a teen mom and although I had the support of my family, I was young and I let the nurses and dr bully me into a birth experience that I did not want. I hope to be there to support mothers who need guidance and someone to stand up for the birth they want, not what is convenient for the hospital.

Quoting 123MomAmy:

That's one of the sweetest things I've heard!

Quoting torttia:

Quoting orangeshirt:

butterflycircle
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I go to an OB dr. I would love to go the midwife  way but there aren't many around here and my hospital doesn't allow either.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I hired one with my last four births.  I also hired a midwife.  As far as this birth goes, I am still on the fence.  I loveeeed my  doula for the first three births (same women), but I feel like my labors keeping getting faster and faster.  It was really hard for me to give my doula $700 the last birth when she was only there for four hours..if even (and my main doula who I normally had at the birth was sick, so I had a substitute). 

torttia
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM

That sounds terrible! At the hospital I used they put a limit on how many people could be in the room but they did not choose who would be there.

Quoting butterflycircle:

I go to an OB dr. I would love to go the midwife  way but there aren't many around here and my hospital doesn't allow either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured