Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cani get an ultra sound whenever i want???

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 26 Replies
The hospital I go to for my ob and my u/s I make two different appointments one for the Dr I'm now going every two weeks and other appointments for u/s. I'm 28 weeks tomorrow and haven't had an u/s since 22.5 weeks. I wanna see my baby!! I was just wondering I guess can I call and ask for a u/s just to check up on baby? I love getting u/s and seeing my baby
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

you can have more ultrasounds but your insurance won't pay for them since they are not necessary, so make sure you find out how much they cost, they are probably several hundred dollars.

kbear1992
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM
I am on state medical so they pay for everything. My friend was on state too and she got a u/s everytime she went in. A lot of people I know get one almost everytime they go in.

Quoting Bethbeth:

you can have more ultrasounds but your insurance won't pay for them since they are not necessary, so make sure you find out how much they cost, they are probably several hundred dollars.

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM
3 moms liked this
Not only is that rare, its also not safe for.your baby and totally abusing state insurance programs. There doing you a big favor giving yiu basically free insurance, why cost them more money becaise you want to see your baby. Most people get 1 or two there whole pregnancy sometimes none if they choose so. Your doctor most likely will not give you one just because you ask.

Quoting kbear1992:

I am on state medical so they pay for everything. My friend was on state too and she got a u/s everytime she went in. A lot of people I know get one almost everytime they go in.

Quoting Bethbeth:

JadeTigr7
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I had state Medicaid with my first and they would not have covered any u/s not ordered by my dr, just like with my insurance now.

There is no reason for you to have an u/s and its not safe to have them constantly. Why risk your baby just because *you* want to see them?
katie11908
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I have to have ultrasounds every other week or so from 14-27 weeks. But if I wasn't high risk I would only get 2. I dont believe you can just call and request an ultrasound at your actual ob office just cause you want to see baby though. If they did it would be out of your pocket state insurance will only cover whats medically necessary according to your doctor. You could go to an elective ultrasound also and pay out of pocket roughly 100-200 dollars.
nicole2884
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM
My insurance only pays for one that is my choice the rest i have to pay for
LizzieAnnesMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM
They usually wont pay unless its necessary.

Quoting kbear1992:

Quoting Bethbeth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Is there actual evidence that says it is bad for them? Because i have heard the complete opposite. All i ever heard is that it has no effect on the baby.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I had state Medicaid with my first and they would not have covered any u/s not ordered by my dr, just like with my insurance now.

There is no reason for you to have an u/s and its not safe to have them constantly. Why risk your baby just because *you* want to see them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/pultra.html

Yes, there is actual evidence, and the WHO and the AMA recommend limiting your exposure to ultrasounds in pregnancy. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Is there actual evidence that says it is bad for them? Because i have heard the complete opposite. All i ever heard is that it has no effect on the baby.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

ness_uh_0630
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM

why don't you just go into your dr and ask if they will take a look? most dr offices have the portable equipment in the rooms. My dr looked at my baby for the forst 3 months at every 2 weeks because I was losing more weight than I was gaining and she was checking to see if baby was ok. but since my weight has been normal and stuff the u/s have stopped being as frequent. I would say just be happy if and when you get to see the baby and just settle for hearing the heartbeat when they check. I am on medi-CAL and only use it for myself when I actually need too. I take my kids to the dr wayyyy more than I take myself when I am not pregnant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured