Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How many ultrasounds are you willing to have for high risk pregnancy? ***Update***

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:47 AM
  • 41 Replies
Am just curious coz I have read about ultrasounds not being totally safe but my pregnancy is high risk and have ultrasounds every 2-3 weeks and so far at 20 weeks have had about 7-8. Its not my wanting but the assuarance that the baby and my cervix are doing ok. How many ultrasounds is too much?

Thank you so much for your responses ladies. There too many for me to respond to so I'll just update. The reason my pregnancy is high risk is because of my short cervix of which I had a cerclage placed and also because of history of second trimester loss. So far I have had issues such as bleeding and bad abdominal pains which always makes my doctor request for an ultrasound to check my cervix. I really appreciate your responses and if many of have had healthy babies after quite a number of ultrasounds,I guess the benefits outweigh the risks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sailorchu
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Not sure, I only had three my whole pregnancy. It's up to you and what you're comfortable with!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Yeah the most I had was 3 or 4. maybe call a Douala.

bellawomen
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:53 AM
I had 2 and refused to have more. I had a very high risk pregnancy. I lost one of my twins at 29 weeks and my live son's placenta was very low lying near my cervix. I was not willing to put my surviving son at risk by having more ultrasounds.
yuki_onna
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:59 AM
I have to have one every week. I have ttts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I had as many as needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM
The most I had was 3 during my 3rd pregnancy. First was a dating u/s, second was to check for a hb, and 3rd was the anatomy scan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armyslpbaby
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I had 4 in total
heartagram_girl
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM

My SIL was high risk with my nephew, and she had one every doc appointment. He is now 5 and healthy as can be. Talk to the doc about it- ask about the risks from their point of view. The risks may outweigh the benefits. But also, vice versa. The benefits may outweigh the risks.

Other than that, I cant really tell you. I have only had my 20 week us, and that will be the only one I get if things continue to go well for us.

I hope your pregancy is fine and that both you and baby stay healthy!

CafeMom Tickers
Megan11587
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I don't know. I would have to discuss with my doctor before making a decision.
Devious103102
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM
3 moms liked this

I'd be fine with as many as the doctor felt is needed. They wouldn't continue to give u/s's if they weren't safe and I know people say there's "risks" to them, but honestly in order for any of those "risks" to show, you'd probably have to be having constant 3-5hr long u/s's every single day of your pregnancy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN