Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What would you do if you were me?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 25 Replies

 

Poll

Question: What would you do if you were me?

Options:

Go for the VBAC

Schedule a C section

Wait and see what happens

Other (please explain in comment section)


Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

Hello everyone. 

I will be 39 weeks tomorrow, and up until recently, I have been planning a vbac birth. My first son was delivered via c section because of an induction that didnt really take...failure to progress. Let me preface this by saying my first son was 11 lbs and 6 oz at birth. 

With this pregnancy, Ive had more problems. I have a blood clotting disorder so Ive been on heparin injections all through the pregnancy. The reason why Im doubting a vbac now is because I can FEEL that this boy is large, just like his brother was. My hips hurt WAY more than they did with DS1, both because they are seperating and because he's sitting on my sciatic nerve. Some days I can hardly walk. I had an ultrasound on Saturday and he's already measuring 9.25 lbs. This is the exact weight his older brother was measuring at this time...and he came out roughly 2 lbs bigger. I know that the chances of uteren rupture are really slight....trust me, Ive researched the CRAP out of this subject. Ive spent many long nights going over all sorts of information about TOLAC, vbac, etc....I know that USUALLY, its safer. But Im starting to wonder if my situation is not usual. Do I have too many complications to make Vbac a safe option? Baby is head down, and not engaged. My scar on the uterus looks strong and thick. Im worried about things like the doctor or midwife pulling to get baby out if he's big, and damaging nerves in his neck. I have all these fears going through my head and Im starting to wonder if I should just schedule a c section at 41.5 weeks if labor has not started. Given this information, what would you ladies do if you were me? please no bashing, I just want opinions and reasons why. Lets all be tactfull. Thanks in advance! 


Let me also say that induction IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME! It just is not, so please dont suggest it. Thank you! I will not be having any sort of augmentation. NO membrane sweeps, pitocin, cervadil, etc. Nothing. 

I also should say that my doctor is pro vbac, but is starting to get nervous about his size and what it could do to him and I during a TOLAC. So far though, her plan is just wait and see. She likes the fact that my scar looks good and he's head down. She doesnt like the fact that I have a history of huge babies and this one is looking big. If I told her I wanted to schedule a section, she would agree, no problem, but she's rooting for me for a vbac also. She knows how important it is to me. I trust her completely because she has the attitude that its MY choice, not hers. 

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amc103
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

BUMP!

brittany208
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I know pretty much nothing about VBACs... but if you do choose to have a C-section, I would recommend waiting until you go into labor naturally, so you know baby is ready, instead of just scheduling one at a time that is convenient for you.

amc103
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Oh yes, of course! I wouldnt even think about it until after 41.5 weeks. :-) Actually I could stand a little more time with my DS1 before he comes. :-) Not that Im not excited. I am NOT think of a section because Im tired of being pregnant. I did that with DS1 and regret it every day. :-/ Im just wondering, if this boy is really huge, (close to 11 or 12 lbs like his brother was) will my uterus even be ABLE to start labor on its own? So many things to think about... :-/ thank you so very very much for your reply! You are a wise woman! ;-)

Quoting brittany208:

I know pretty much nothing about VBACs... but if you do choose to have a C-section, I would recommend waiting until you go into labor naturally, so you know baby is ready, instead of just scheduling one at a time that is convenient for you.


FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
You could do a trial of labor to see how you and baby handle it. You don't have to decide until the last minute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I like the way you think, and its the option I like the most so far, but how far do I let it go? you know? Im worried that he'll manage to get into the canal and then we'll realize that he's too big and it will turn into an emergency. :-/ Or do I opt for the c section if, for example, Ive been at 5 cm for 4 hours and he's not decending...(which is exactly what happend with DS1) Would that be my sign that its not going well and I should do the c section to avoid injury to the baby? What do you think?

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

You could do a trial of labor to see how you and baby handle it. You don't have to decide until the last minute.


FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM
There are so many variables. I wanted a vbac, but baby wasn't moving and doc was worried. And I wasn't dilating. Turns out I have a bicornate uterus. I think you just have to play this one by ear.


Quoting amc103:

I like the way you think, and its the option I like the most so far, but how far do I let it go? you know? Im worried that he'll manage to get into the canal and then we'll realize that he's too big and it will turn into an emergency. :-/ Or do I opt for the c section if, for example, Ive been at 5 cm for 4 hours and he's not decending...(which is exactly what happend with DS1) Would that be my sign that its not going well and I should do the c section to avoid injury to the baby? What do you think?

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

You could do a trial of labor to see how you and baby handle it. You don't have to decide until the last minute.



Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM

yeah, thats true. Im glad that you did what was best for your little one! :-) I have a bicorniate uterus too! Only slightly though. :-) Thank you for your support!

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

There are so many variables. I wanted a vbac, but baby wasn't moving and doc was worried. And I wasn't dilating. Turns out I have a bicornate uterus. I think you just have to play this one by ear.


Quoting amc103:

I like the way you think, and its the option I like the most so far, but how far do I let it go? you know? Im worried that he'll manage to get into the canal and then we'll realize that he's too big and it will turn into an emergency. :-/ Or do I opt for the c section if, for example, Ive been at 5 cm for 4 hours and he's not decending...(which is exactly what happend with DS1) Would that be my sign that its not going well and I should do the c section to avoid injury to the baby? What do you think?

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

You could do a trial of labor to see how you and baby handle it. You don't have to decide until the last minute.




doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

VBAC fo-sho!
:-)


Health and safety are my main priorities so I avoid unnecessary risks, of course I encourage that for you too!
 GL!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Offering the opportunity to be born vaginally means a lot!    IF it shouldn't work out then it's important to keep in mind that you tried for that.

When to decide if it's not working out?    As long as mom & baby are fine then keep on going.     Obviously, staying upright and moving will be important, minimal interventions and monitoring.   And keep in mind the error rates for monitoring.  :-(
Not checking your cervix is helpful-healthful as well.


Quoting amc103:

I like the way you think, and its the option I like the most so far, but how far do I let it go? you know? Im worried that he'll manage to get into the canal and then we'll realize that he's too big and it will turn into an emergency. :-/ Or do I opt for the c section if, for example, Ive been at 5 cm for 4 hours and he's not decending...(which is exactly what happend with DS1) Would that be my sign that its not going well and I should do the c section to avoid injury to the baby? What do you think?

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

You could do a trial of labor to see how you and baby handle it. You don't have to decide until the last minute.



Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma


When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan


Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

 I agree

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

You could do a trial of labor to see how you and baby handle it. You don't have to decide until the last minute.

 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN