Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hyperemesis gravidarum?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm 7 weeks along. I started getting morning sickness this week, but it is bad.

I can't keep much of anything down, and I constantly feel like I am hung over, probably due to dehydration. I'm also losing about a pound a day. 

I called the answering service at my OB GYN's office last night, and the on call doctor instructed me to go to the ER. I got there and the woman at the counter rolled her eyes at me and said "You came here for that?" Then I waited three hours, only one person was let in during that time. So my husband and I had to leave to get my son to bed. 

I have an appointment on Friday, but I was told it could be Hypermesis Gravidarum: A severe form of morning sickness that may require hospitalization. 

I was wondering if anyone else had this, and if there is anything I can to until Friday to help keep food and water down? My husband is getting upset with me for not eating enough... but it's hard to even think about eating when you feel sick all day... not to mention most everything comes up. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
FarmMom383
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I didnt have this problem but until you can get a doctor, i asked my boyfriends sister because she is a nurse at Mayo and this is what she says if you cant keep anything down

after vomiting rest tummy for one hour

start with clear liquid, 1 Tablespoon water every 10 min

you can use koolaide, pedialite and popsicles

after 4 more hours increase liquids to 4 Tablespoons every 10 min

after 8 hours begin starchy foods, dry toast, plain noodles, mashed potatoes, and crackers.

I hope this helps and hope you feel better soon.  even if this helps i would still go to the doctor, i am 4 months into my first pregnancy and worry about all the little things, I am kind of getting used to the people at the counter rolling their eyes, it is rude of them.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Be careful not to get too upset or self-diagnose. HG is a serious condition, and it sucks. This is my first pregnancy with morning sickness and for me, it's been brutal.. but nothing close to HG. 

Do your best to stay hydrated. What are you able to keep down, how often are you vomiting? Is it triggered by anything for you?

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I'm sorry! I hope you feel better! Can you get into the dr sooner?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I agree.  HG is horrible.

And, I agree on the staying hydrated...do what you can do (even letting ice chips melt in your mouth).  This pregnancy, I find I can only drink juices and pop.  I haven't had water for a few months now, but we have to do what we do just to get us through morning sickness.  It's all about survival mode.

Hope you feel better!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Be careful not to get too upset or self-diagnose. HG is a serious condition, and it sucks. This is my first pregnancy with morning sickness and for me, it's been brutal.. but nothing close to HG. 

Do your best to stay hydrated. What are you able to keep down, how often are you vomiting? Is it triggered by anything for you?

Sassy_Mommy1
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I had HG very badly with my son. I had severe nausea and vomiting my entire pregnancy. I took zofran which controlled the vomiting to a certain extent but never stopped the nausea. Go back to the er because nothing stopped the all day vomiting...nothing! I hope it gets better for you. I was in the hospital 3x getting fluids because of it. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Try popsicles or ice. Maybe small spoonfuls of applesauce. Even if you can only take one bite every ten minutes, try to get a little something in there. *hugs*

mem82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

*feel better*

ummcarter
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

ginger often helps, idk about with pregnancy but cola syrup is known to help settle stomachs so you might try that too. At this point try anything that even remotly sounds like you could hold it down even if its twinkies. That way you are getting some calories.

tammy_lynne
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Thank you for all the replies, It did end up being HG... My doctor put me on medication, so far that is helping. I have to see my doctor every week for a while to make sure I'm well hydrated, and that the medication is still doing it's job. So far so good though! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)