Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

38 weeks 1 day pregnant. Doc is talking about induction after 39 weeks. I got tons of questions!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My ob. wants to induce me after i turn 39 weeks. He said because i am so "petite" and small, that the baby is running out of room, And i guess he is scared that if i go 40 weeks or longer, that the baby will be to big for me to deliver natural! I am a teen, (almost 17) And this is my first child. I was just wandering what do they have to do to induce labor, and what are some of your stories??

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Replies (371-380):
danamppz
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
A normal pregnancy on average lasts at least 41.3 weeks. The only reason he is inducing is for his own reasons. Just because you are small has no bearing on how big the baby may be or if you can have a natural birth. Ultrasounds for baby weight can be off by 2 pounds, that means a 7 pound baby on an ultra sound is really only 5 pounds. The due date is actually only an estimate and if you are induced to soon it is possible that the date was miscalculated and you can end up with a premature birth, causing problems for the baby. If you wait for your natural labor to start then you will not have to worry about pumping yourself and your baby with all those different medications and drugs. All the medications you can receive during your time in the hospital can and will cross into the placenta and affect your baby. If you let your baby keep growing, even past the due date, you will have a happier baby. Studies have shown the last few weeks a babies brain grows the most and late babies are known to be better sleepers and better eaters. Start researching everything you can. Obstetricians are trained in surgery and administering medication, not natural birth. The best thing you can do is inform yourself and know when you are in the hospital the nurses and doctor will try to push things on you to push your labor and stay on their schedule. Even breaking your water is not necessary and once done creates a time restraint for when they believe baby needs to come out. Listen to your body, research your options, do what you feel is right. Also remember you do not have to lie down unless you receive medication. If you walk around and change your position it helps get baby down into position and also helps with managin pain. Doctors want you on your back for their comfort. I have done a lot of research and have had 3 births. Some people will probably doubt what I'm saying but I can promise you it's all true. Pm me if you want, I don't live on this site though, so I don't know how long it will take me to get back :p
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jennie2263

I am also petite and my doc did the same thing with three of my four. It wasn't really any different. They just put the meds through the IV and that's it. All my children were perfectly fine and developed but if you are concerned the due date could be off, a second opinion wouldn't hurt anything.

SaraLovesEli29
I was induced at 39 weeks 5 days with my son. I was 18. They did the induction because they were worried my son was going to be too big. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
UmiFujii
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

You need someone to go with you to your next appointment and suggest the Doctor let nature decide when your baby is ready. I know that sometimes Doctors like to scare young patients into doing things they would not normally agree to. I think your body will do just fine if you go to term naturally.

I have my first cut out of me because the Doctor said I was at 18 too small to have him. I went on to deliver a 10 pound baby with another Doctor. I may have a small frame and am very short but my pelvis was adequate to deliver a 10 pounder without episiotomy or any surgery. You can NOT tell if the baby will fit until you are in active labor. Induction can result in complications or a C-section like mine. Be strong. Just because you are 17 does not mean your body cannot deliver your baby when it is ready. 

purplepixie789
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Everyone is diffrent!!! You cant go by what someone else says.Just sayin  ;)

lovebeingamu178

39 weeks is fine, I had my second child at 39 weeks she was fine , ( I am a mum of 4 )  either way they deliver your baby . 

TigressLily

My cousin has had 4 children. Her first one was a whopping 10lb 2oz baby girl. My cousin went from 98lbs {5ft 7in} to 203lbs during that pregnancy.

On her 4th child, she had to be induced because the baby ran out of room to grow, and the baby was smaller than the last 3. Her uterus had contracted after her 3rd baby to where the 4th one was barely fitting, and her hips had shrunk somehow and her OB told her there was no way her body would stretch properly this time around.

And it's 39 weeks, not like it's 25-30 weeks etc... I wouldn't be concerned, I would be happy that you can give birth vaginally instead of having a c-section instead. I had a c-section with my first {and only so far} and I don't want to scare you but I wouldn't wish it upon anyone and I pray I never have to go through that again. Abby was breech the entire pregnancy, reason for the c-section.

So to answer you simply, yes it is normal IMHO, and it's at a perfectly acceptable time frame, being 39 weeks.

nicole2884
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I would not induce unless there was a health risk an size is not that just sounds like another doctor trying to get you to deliver on his schedule an not the baby's
MrsCorcino
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I was 17 when I had my first son. I had to have a c-section. He ran out of room and was running out of fluid. I was so petite that the baby would have got his shoulders stuck and that could have complicated everything. But everyone is different. Make sure you look at all your options and the side affects

singinmomma5789
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
I'm small too 4'11" and was 19 when I gave birth. I was induced at 39 weeks because my baby stopped growing. My labor had no complications was only 6 1/2 hrs (rare for first time births I think) and I didn't need a C-section. Just my 2 cents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)