Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Labor positions

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 63 Replies

Which labor positions did you use/try while you were in labor? (OTHER than flat on your back, feet in stirrups lol!)

What part of labor did you use them in? (at the beginning? while pushing?)

I heard squatting is really good but my DH thinks Im crazy bc laying down on your back is just "what you do." And "how is the dr supposed to catch the baby if you are squatting on the floor?" But hey, when I'm in labor, he will know better than to argue with me :)

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

You would think! I suggest educating him really, really fast or hiring a doula ASAP!!!! If he does not support your birthing choices, then you will very quickly end up being rail roaded into a host of interventions you have researched and know you don't want! It is so important to have support and you will not find it in the hospital staff! 

amc103
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I plan on doing anything BUT being on my back in bed! Moving and shaking! I think you're right, OP'er....he'll get in when labor comes! :-)

brittany208
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Oh, he'll be fine. He's just more scared of labor than I am lol. With our first baby, everytime I'd have a contraction he'd say "Take the epidural!!" and I'd roll my eyes and say "I'm fine! Leave me alone!" lol. A little annoying, but he knows my wishes and he isn't going to prevent me from what I want. He just hated to see me in pain and wanted to take care of me.

And, unfortunately for him, he knows I kind of do what I want regardless of his opinion more often than I should....

Quoting louzannalady:

You would think! I suggest educating him really, really fast or hiring a doula ASAP!!!! If he does not support your birthing choices, then you will very quickly end up being rail roaded into a host of interventions you have researched and know you don't want! It is so important to have support and you will not find it in the hospital staff! 

Dee0886
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally agreed and unfortunately a laboring woman caves fairly easy so she needs an advocate there not to tell her what she should do but express her wishes. DH and I had this talk and he asked the same thing. Why not on my back? I told him when he gave birth he can do it any way he wants!

Quoting louzannalady:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dee0886
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I had to be on my back with my last 2 bc I had the epi. Not this time and I made it very clear that as long as its safe, if he convinces me to do something I don't want to do, I'll resent him for it.
A laboring woman doesn't want or need to hear others opinions if it had nothing to do with her or the baby's safety.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

That is awesome! I'm going to use this!!

Quoting Dee0886:

Totally agreed and unfortunately a laboring woman caves fairly easy so she needs an advocate there not to tell her what she should do but express her wishes. DH and I had this talk and he asked the same thing. Why not on my back? I told him when he gave birth he can do it any way he wants!

Quoting louzannalady:

brittany208
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I know it was just him trying to take care of me and make me feel better, though. If I'm at home, he's always "why dont you go lay down and take a nap?" "Why don't you relax?" "Why don't you just order a pizza instead of cooking dinner?" He's like that ALL the time. probably bc I'm always "no, I'm fine." "I dont need a nap" "I can do it" and then am grouchy later :)

Quoting Dee0886:

I had to be on my back with my last 2 bc I had the epi. Not this time and I made it very clear that as long as its safe, if he convinces me to do something I don't want to do, I'll resent him for it.
A laboring woman doesn't want or need to hear others opinions if it had nothing to do with her or the baby's safety.

Jen4boys06
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I've delivered all 4 of my boys on my back :)  Probably because I had an epidural with all of them! Love me some epidural :)

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I did everything from jumping on the bed, to squatting, to kneeling and holding on the top side of the bed, etc...  I did what felt was right for my body at the time.  And, it is funny how every labor was soo different. 

I have delivered two babies on my back with no stirrups...wasn't even an option (my decision), one on my knees, and one on on knees and flipped the side part way through delivery. 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I delivered my first, on my back with my feet in stirrups :(

My second was on my back, with me holding one leg back! Lol!

My 3rd was in the water, and I was somewhere between sitting & squatting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)