Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

1St trimester gentetic testing

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 24 Replies
Did you do any of these? Why or why not,?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajohnson08099
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I have the papers for the quad test (I'm 18 weeks) but haven't done it. I'm on the fence still.
Megan11587
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Me too. Im thinking of skipping it. I wouldnt abort if they are positive and they cant do anything about it so why stress?

Quoting ajohnson08099:

I have the papers for the quad test (I'm 18 weeks) but haven't done it. I'm on the fence still.
Cmgmqmmom
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I had the quad test and when it came back as slightly abnormal, I paid to have the Maternity 21 test done. That was actually nice because it's just a blood test and they can tell not only what chromosomal abnormalities there might be, but can also tell you the baby's gender based on the presence (or lack thereof) of a Y chromosome. Mine was fine and they were able to tell me I was having a girl much earlier than an ultrasound.

I would always have the testing done, if only because babies that have some chromosomal disorders require intervention at birth and I'd rather have the doctors who need to be there in the delivery room. Just my opinion.

AmericanChild82
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I had my appointment scheduled and decided to cancel. Dh and I had a long talk about it and no matter what the out come would have been we would still carry to term and love the baby no matter what. So I canceled.

ajohnson08099
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Quoting Megan11587:

I wouldn't have either. But would like to be prepard. But I think the anatomy scan will tell enough. Still don't know what I will do honestly
BabieBeat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I think usually your health care team will take into consideration your age and  family/personal history to determine if testing should be performed. There are quite a few tests in the first trimester which are offered. Some are done on all pregnant women in certain states. One good thing about the testing is if it is performed and positive for a possible abnormality, it gives you time to research, retest, and prepare for the special needs of your baby if need be.  

Don't ever hesitate to call your health care team with any questions or concerns you may have or comments you don't understand. They are there to educate and inform you, that's their job! And always, and trust your gut...xo
ferne3
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM

We did it with #1 not realizing the prevelance of false positives.  We were devastated when the results came back positive and they tried scheduling us for an amniocentesis, which has risks of miscarriage - although low.  By then my dh who originally said he would want to terminate if the results were positive said he was too emotionally invested in the baby even if there were issues and we chose to keep the baby with no further testing after speaking to a genetics counselor, since netiher of us had a family history of the disorder.  But the result tainted the rest of the pregnancy like a dark cloud.  Thankfully she was born without the disorder we tested positive for.  My sister just went through the same thing.  We chose no testing for #2 knowing we'd keep the baby no matter what.  I see the rationale of being prepared but didn't think false positives were worth the stress.  They set the bar low to catch all issues, so false positives are common.  And things like an incorrect due date or even if you just happen to be one of those people who naturally have higher pregnancy hormone levels will test positive.  Good luck no matter which you choose.

Quoting Megan11587:

Me too. Im thinking of skipping it. I wouldnt abort if they are positive and they cant do anything about it so why stress?

Quoting ajohnson08099:

brittany208
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I opted not to have any tests that they'd let me get out of :) Had a pap, and a blood test to scan for different things, but that was about it.

mushmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM
The screening has way too high of a false positive rate for me. I've been in my 30s for all my pregnancies and have declined all testing. This time I'm 39 and may consider non invasive testing solely to know and prepare.
JunkYdMom
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Ive had all non invasive testing done due to my age (38)...I wanted to be prepared if there was a problem
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)