Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

please tell me I'm not going into labor right now! **UPDATE!!!

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 43 Replies
9 moms liked this
38w 5d I've been having contractions for the past 3hrs. I'm not 100% on what to do because my OB said they should be 4-5 mins apart for about 2 hrs but mine have been anywhere from 2.30-8 mins apart. also I'll have a contraction that makes me tear up a bit & then I'll have a really mild one & back to semi-uncomfortable again.... opinions?!?

I'm a mommy!! james presley was born at 8:48 this morning (eastern time) 6lbs 13oz & he's absolutely perfect!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jerricalynn
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM

maybe practice contractions forgot what there called????? GOOD LUCK!!!

Allie_kat1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Keep yourself hydrated and hang out at home until they are much more regular, closer together, and you can't talk through them. The longer you can hold off, the better! You will be more comfortable and relaxed in your own environment. It could be a few hours, it could be weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greentealover18
by Kait on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM
does the length of each contraction matter? like should they be getting longer?

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Keep yourself hydrated and hang out at home until they are much more regular, closer together, and you can't talk through them. The longer you can hold off, the better! You will be more comfortable and relaxed in your own environment. It could be a few hours, it could be weeks.
Allie_kat1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Regular contractions should be a minimum of 30 seconds long, and build to a peak, then let up.

If they are still really irregular, i would drink a big glass of water, then lay down and try to rest. If its not baby time, that will prolly calm things down, and if it is early labor, you will want to rest as much ad you can now to keep your energy up for when labor really gets going. Good luck! Is this your first?

Quoting greentealover18:

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proudmommy0610
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
It could be Braxton hicks contractions the fake ones that feel so real lol but it could be early labor once u feel them closer together like every four mins or five and the pain is in ur back and u feel the pressure below its labor and get ready baby is on its way. Good luck and stay hydrated try a warm bath too sometimes that helps relax u too
greentealover18
by Kait on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
each contraction has been 1.30-3 mins.. I'll grab another water and lay down though. yes this is my first & I am freaking out lol
thank you for the advice!

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Regular contractions should be a minimum of 30 seconds long, and build to a peak, then let up.

If they are still really irregular, i would drink a big glass of water, then lay down and try to rest. If its not baby time, that will prolly calm things down, and if it is early labor, you will want to rest as much ad you can now to keep your energy up for when labor really gets going. Good luck! Is this your first?

Quoting greentealover18:

Quoting Allie_kat1:

beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM

If the contractions are progressively getting stronger, longer, and closer together then yes, you could be going into labor. I remember at 39 weeks I had lots of contractions that didn't go away when I walked around and were anywhere from 5-10 minutes apart with intense lower back pain. I think it lasted 1.5-2 hours before going away. I didn't have my LO until 40+1. You could just be having some Braxton Hicks contractions, especially if they are irregular and disappear when you walk around.

nikkiamanda
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM

My doctor advises drinking 32 oz of water and laying down for awhile 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM

With the length of your contractions, that sounds like labor. It is normal for labor to have a pattern of one intense contractions followed by weaker ones. If you haven't gone in by now. You should. Good luck!

jacandjay
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Update?!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)