Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Names hard to pronounce?

Posted by   + Show Post
I kinda have a trend of my kida names being hard to pronounce, i didnt mean to because to me and the culture.im used to they arent hard at all but ive realised in public lile school or doctora offices they are hard.

My sons name is Alexys... everyone either cant say it, its just like Alexis , or they think he is a girl, we call him AJ since he is Alexys Jr.

My daughter is Ciela, everyone says Celia, when its See-ella.

Now this baby is going to be Cataleya and im nervous it will.be the same.
If you have seen the movie Colombiana you will know how to say it. ut i not how would you say it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I am not fond of names that are hard to pronounce, but I apperently picked them. My first is Xavier which to me is easy, but people have a time with. My second is Malachi. Which I figured would be extremely easy, but nope....people haven't a clue, and its a biblical name. And my third is Laylah-Marie, people do ok with that!

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

This is how I pronounced it as well. :-) I got the first name right but the second one wrong. I think if I'd stopped and looked more at the name I probably would have gotten it though. My brain automatically rearranged the letters so it looked like Celia. But when I went back and looked at it and saw how the letters really are arranged her name is pretty much pronounced how it's spelled. :-)

Quoting ajohnson08099:

Yea I got your second one wrong too lol

Is it cat-uh-lay-uh? Because that's all I could figure

beckyaj110
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I'm not sure how you pronounce your sons name, id be one to pronounce it like Alexis bit your DDs name isn't hard and id say the new babys name cat-uh-lay-uh. I didn't think Janiya (Juh-ni-uh) was hard to pronounce either until the first time they said it wrong (they pronounced it Jay-nee-a) at her drs office.
liams_mama12
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Haha I remember that name Cataleya. I was in loooove with that name for like ever. But Dh doesn't like it. I kept thinking, like you, that everyone is going to pronounce it wrong or make it sound so proper instead on Spanish sounding. Idk. I like it but I wouldn't name my daughter that. Instead I chose a different name. Its not common but its still pretty. Either way, good luck. Ciela was easy to pronounce, but your son I can honestly say I can't pronounce it !

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM
My sons is said like Alexis. Idk why my exes lovely mom spelled his name with a Y it jist makes it confusing. And he insisted on his son being a Junior.

Quoting liams_mama12:

Haha I remember that name Cataleya. I was in loooove with that name for like ever. But Dh doesn't like it. I kept thinking, like you, that everyone is going to pronounce it wrong or make it sound so proper instead on Spanish sounding. Idk. I like it but I wouldn't name my daughter that. Instead I chose a different name. Its not common but its still pretty. Either way, good luck. Ciela was easy to pronounce, but your son I can honestly say I can't pronounce it !

MamaScho88
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Is your daughter's name Ciela prnounced kay-la or ky-lah? I have seen the movie colombiana and I love the name Cataleya, go for it! It's different and very beautiful :)

alexislovesjr
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I got both. :) they are beautiful names. I like diffrent names. My girl name choices are all spanish so they are a little hard to pronounce too.

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM
No its like See-ella .. =)

Quoting MamaScho88:

Is your daughter's name Ciela prnounced kay-la or ky-lah? I have seen the movie colombiana and I love the name Cataleya, go for it! It's different and very beautiful :)

twiztidmommy84
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I like hard names to I have a nevaeh loki krixus and one normal which is autumn I like your names very original
MamaScho88
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Oh I'm sorry! I really like that, it's very pretty :)

Quoting KristinCarr:

No its like See-ella .. =)

Quoting MamaScho88:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)